BASYS3 SPI x4 PROGRAMMING ERROR 27-3161

RBS

Question

Hello,

Thank you for taking your time to address my issue, I'll keep it short.

BASYS3   2 different boards        Vivado 2016.4       My project and BASYS3 Programming Web Tutorial      Win 7 and Win 10

I can program and run the BASYS3 board using BIT file and JTAG RAM but I get an error if I use the SPI x4 Flash and BIN file.

program_hw_cfgmem -hw_cfgmem [get_property PROGRAM.HW_CFGMEM [lindex [get_hw_devices] 0 ]]
Program File cannot be empty
ERROR: [Labtools 27-3161] Flash Programming Unsuccessful
ERROR: [Common 17-39] 'program_hw_cfgmem' failed due to earlier errors.

It says " Program File cannot be empty" but both BIT and BIN are not empty??  See attached project.

I have tried:

Two different projects -  mine and the step-by-step BASYS3 Programming Demo from the web

Two different cards

JP1 Programming jumper - I have tried every position even removed on both cards

Two different PC's   - Win 7 and Win 10  using Vivado 2016.4

Like I've stated, multiple cards, multiple operating systems and PCs, multiple projects all work with JTAG but not SPI Flash.    I don't know what I am overlooking?

I have attached my copy of the BASYS3 Programming Demo from the web project for you analysis.   I followed the project step by step off the web tutorial but I can't get SPI programming to work.

Thank You for your time and assistance.................................

PGM DEMO.zip

4 answers to this question

Well if this ain't the damnedest bug since the short haired reed shorting relay moth............................

I was bothered by this error  -- " Program File cannot be empty" .   I looked at the bin file and it certainly wasn't empty.  I finally deduced that Vivado was having a file path problem.  Here is what I discovered:

If you are programming the RAM via JTAG Vivado doesn't give a hoot about the BIT file path protocol.

If you program the SPI and there are any 'spaces' in your path name Vivado can't find the BIN file.

Am I just ignorant and everyone else knows about this rule...............   sorry bug!!!!   Anyone know a back door email to the Vivado developers to get this fixed??

Hello @RBS,

The problem with the spaces on the path is well known for Vivado. Also the SDK won't work if the path is too long. If you store your project in a work directory that has more than one or two sub folders, won't work. The best and safest way is to work on desktop. You are not the only one who encountered this problem so don't worry.

Best regards,

Bianca

Anyone besides me think this is a pretty important fact that should be noted in the tutorials.

How are we supposed to get to Mars if we can't get past the 'spaces'  ;-)

Thank You for your responses

Archived