Atlys board discontinued

cfelton

Question

6 answers to this question

HI Chris, 

Yes and no.

Yes, we are not promoting this (meaning that our distributors are not encouraged to sell it), but we are keeping it alive on our website (because people are still buying it) the Atlys board is still a product you can purchase on our website, but we are intending to replace it with the Nexys-Video in the coming months. 

In a few weeks we will have the specs on the Nexys-Video in the Coming Soon portion of our website. 

However, the Nexys-Video will be based on a high-end Artix-7. 

If you want to keep with the S6 on the Atlys, we have lots of stock on it & can easily reorder more, so we most likely won't run out. 

Hi Larissa,

I've just spent a few days implementing HDMI (i.e. with support for different colorspaces, 8 channel audio and so on).

As it is part of my new paid employment I can't share the code openly, but if anybody at Digilent is thinking of implementing a  HDMI TX module for the upcoming board I could answer any questions they might have.

The HDMI specs are concise, but only once you have the understanding gained by making everything work.  If the upcoming Nexys Video had a HDMI implementation out the box (rather than using IP or the TMDS AppNote) it would be a pretty good feature.

Hey Hamster,

Thats awesome, wish it wasn't protected! Adding HDMI sound output to our rgb2dvi is a big want on our wish list. Wouldn't mind implementing multiple colorspaces too, having the option to transmit video as YUV422 would be a good way to decrease memory bandwidth without needing a colorspace converter in the pipeline (I think 16-bit YUV422 is more widely supported than RGB565 in Linux). If you're curious about what our future HDMI TX offering looks like, check out the rgb2dvi that we will be using in all future Vivado designs. Its part of the Vivado library we are starting to build now, found here: https://github.com/DigilentInc/vivado-library. I'd love to hear if you have any notes.  

And the Nexys-Video will have an HDMI TX reference project that uses this core posted on the Wiki when we get closer to release.  We are putting a lot of effort towards getting better at posting this kind of material preemptive to or at the time of the product launch.

Hi Sam,

Over the weekend I did my minimal HDMI implementation and typed up enough notes that you should be able to follow what is going on, esp if you can get your hands on the PDF of the HDMI Specifications (what ever did we do before Google???). 

It was more of an exercise in abusing the standard and implementing the minimum possible to get it to work, but the write-up should answer any questions you might have during your own implementation (e.g. it details the ECC used, it supplies one or two test vectors you can use, you can run simulations of it and then have a close look at the signals).

It doesn't include audio support, but that is 'just' the matter of sending the right data packet at about the right time :-)

http://hamsterworks.co.nz/mediawiki/index.php/Minimal_HDMI

Just read through the guide, very well done... one day we will get to writing an rgb2hdmi core that includes audio and AVI support, and when we do, I'm sure the person doing it will be referring to that guide. Thanks for all the work putting it together.

Archived