USB on Zybo does not work

Rainer Urian

Question

Hi,

I have a recently buyed a Zybo board and wanted to use it with Vivado 15.1 on Windows 10

I installed the cable drivers but the USB cable did not appear in the Windows device manager. Only the Jungo Windriver is there.

It seems as would the FTDI chip be invisible for Windows. So, I assumed it is either defect or misconfigured.

Therefore I tried to use the FTDI tools like FT_Prog to check the FTDI chip on the USB port.

But still no luck. This tool doesn't work. It complains that FTD2XX.dll is missing.

This DLL will not be installed by the Xilinix cable driver form Vivado. 

Therefore I tried to install the drivers form the FTDI site.

This worked without errors, but FT_PROG nevertheless complains that FTD2XX.dll is missing.

Then I copied the FTD2XX.dll directly to the FT_PROG installation folder.

The "FTD2XX.dll is missing" error is gone, but the tool shows me no FTDI device.

Any ideas?

Rainer

12 answers to this question

Hello,

Sometimes the cable drivers can be a bit frustrating to get going (especially with such a big program like Vivado). I know you said you installed the cable drivers, but I would recommend trying to install them again (without having to reinstall Vivado) via this Xilinx answer record. If that doesn't seem to resolve the issue, I would also recommend checking out this thread on our Forum where all of the major troubleshooting steps for fixing cable driver issues/no hardware target detected issues are listed.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Thanks,
JColvin

Hi,

thank you for the quick answer.

yes I tried both, but nothing worked. 

What me also puzzles is the fact  that I cannot see any reaction on the Windows device manager when I plug/unplug the USB cable.
In my opinion, by plugging the USB cable one should always see a new device appearing in the device manager.
As this does not happen, I assume that my FTDI chip has a problem.
I heard some rumours that new Windows FTDI drivers could destroy chips by overwriting some vital EEprom settings.

I am not sure that this has happened. But is there a way to check if the FTDI chip is still correct?

@Rainer Urian,

At this point, it can be a couple of things:

1. The Zybo --- how's that power light looking?  It it getting power?
  2. The Cable --- Have you tried using another USB cable?  USB cables can and do go bad--even after years of working.  Further, the fact that the cable does or does not charge your phone offers little information as to whether or not it will work for your Zybo.  ;)
  3. The port on your computer--yes, I have had ports go bad.  :o  Sometimes things work on the front of my computer that don't work on the back, sometimes vice versa.  If you try another port, does it still fail?
  4. The software on your windows machine--such as you have been trying to modify.

But as to your question--does the FTDI software go bad on its own?  Very unlikely.  But, please, allow me to caution you: DON'T TRY TO REPROGRAM OR REFLASH THE FTDI.  There have been lots of folks posting here that have done that and bricked their board as a result.  :o  (Okay, not quite, there is some special/secret Digilent sauce that can be used to rescue it, but ... you'd like to avoid that if you can.)  :D

I know I have had problems getting the cable drivers loaded on a Linux machine.  It turns out I needed to run the installer as an administrator.  However, that's not your problem since you are on a Windows machine.  I'll let others finish answering your question for you, but you might wish to check the other problems mentioned above.

Dan

Hi Rainer,

If you have tried out other cables and a different port (as @D@n nicely reiterated) and it's not going for you, but the power light is on, then I think the next step might be to repair the FTDI chip. But, I'm not an expert in debugging these sorts of things (nor do I have the repair tool) so I'll tag @Bianca who has a lot more experience in this to help you further.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Thanks,
JColvin

@D@n:

ad 1. Power light is on. In addition to that, I also tried with an external power supply.

ad 2. I use - please don't laugh :blink: - the cable from my Playstation 4 controller. In order to check that this cable is a full USB cable and not only a power supply, I connected the playstation controller with this cable to the USB port of my windows  machine and observed the device manager. He recognized the new USB device. I assume that this proves that the USB cable is ok.

ad 3. I plugged my old Digilent Spartan 3A board on this USB port and watched the windows device manager. The USB  chip was recognized and shown on the device manager. I would say this proves that the port is ok. 

ad 4. I tried on a HP laptop with Win 7 and a MS surface with Win 10 and on a virtualized Win 7 in Parallels / Mac.

best regards,

Rainer

@Rainer Urian,

Thank you for humoring me, and for completing the record!  No, I didn't laugh at the playstation reference--it told you what you needed to know, and it's convincing enough to me.  I think at this point, though, that I'll back out then and wait for @Bianca to step in and help--since it's not something I personally know how to fix.

Dan

Update:

The USB device gets not enumerated by Windows. As far as I now, even if the drivers are wrong or not present, the device should always occur in the Windows Device Manager.

If this is not the case, I suppose that some very basic USB functionality dos not work.

I think the USB device is defect and I have to replace the board.

Hi all,

I have been following this thread as I got the same issue posted here by Rainer. I tried to flash FTDI chip with "MProg/FT_Prog" in order to enable UART fast mode but something went wrong and it seems the FTDI bricked. I am using Zybo board too.

Could you please @Bianca let me know how to repair or reflash this chip again to recover its initial status?

Many thanks in advance,

Best regards.

Archived