Not a Marvell or TI Ethernet PHY

Cynthia

Question

Hi,

I followed the instruction in https://reference.digilentinc.com/learn/programmable-logic/tutorials/nexys-video-getting-started-with-microblaze-servers/start  carefully to create the simple echo server with Nexys video board. The vivado version is 16.2. The Ethernet licence is evaluation version.

After creating echo server application and run with SDK , it does not run as expected, the output is as follows:

-----lwIP TCP echo server ------
TCP packets sent to port 6001 will be echoed back
WARNING: Not a Marvell or TI Ethernet PHY. Please verify the initialization sequence
link speed: 100

It seems to me the physical interface on the board is not configured right.  I tried other lwip application, there is the same problem, so I don't think it is the problem of software or bsp setting.

Could you help me ?  Thank you very much!

Cynthia  

6 answers to this question

Hi Cynthia,

I went through the tutorial and you are correct that the console says:

WARNING: Not a Marvell or TI Ethernet PHY. Please verify the initialization sequence

I will update the tutorial to reflect the warning. The warning does not effect the tutorial. I was able to connect to the echo server on my laptop through ethernet as described in section 14. I will update the tutorial tomorrow. Sorry about the confusion and delay.

cheers,

Jon

1 hour ago, jpeyron said:

Hi Cynthia,

I went through the tutorial and you are correct that the console says:

I will update the tutorial to reflect the warning. The warning does not effect the tutorial. I was able to connect to the echo server on my laptop through ethernet as described in section 14. I will update the tutorial tomorrow. Sorry about the confusion and delay.

cheers,

Jon

Thank you very much!

I have connected the server as well, initialization is slower than old xilinx SDK I used before (board is 100MHz as well), but it looks ok so far.

May I know what cause this warning? Is it matters for further development? since I am developing Ethernet application and want to rule out any wired bug.

Thanks again!

Cynthia

Hi Cynthia,

The Xilinx lwIP includes software to detect the PHY speed, however this software works only for Marvell PHYs. I would guess that with an update it now includes TI's PHY as well. The warning is because the Nexys Video has a Realtek RTL8211E-VL PHY. I believe this is why the tutorial has you set the speed to 100 so as to work with the default settings.

cheers,

Jon 

I just ran into this issue, Vivado 2019.1, LWIP 211

I can't get it to communicate @ 100Mbits; link won't stay up. 

It looks like LWIP doesn't support Realtek devices, and a check has been added to the code.

Line 130 here is the message. 

https://github.com/Xilinx/embeddedsw/blob/master/ThirdParty/sw_services/lwip211/src/contrib/ports/xilinx/netif/xaxiemacif_physpeed.c

Hi @trayres,

You are correct in that the LWIP doesn't readily support Realtek devices, though I do not why this decision was made on Xilinx's end. You can view a couple of threads about this error on the Xilinx forum here and here as well as a discussion on the Xilinx GitHub here where extra material to support other PHYs was offered to be added, but declined anyway.

I know that Digilent did make an update to more readily support Realtek PHY's for 2019.1 as mentioned in this specific post here: https://forum.digilentinc.com/topic/18837-ethernet-on-genesys-2-board/?do=findComment&comment=53349; the post was for the Genesys 2, but will also apply to the Nexys Video.

Thanks,
JColvin

Archived