PYNQ-Z1 Standalone Bootloader Generation (QSPI/SD)

macgyverque

Question

Hello, I've recently purchased a PYNQ-Z1 dev board and am working to follow the examples in the Adam's MicroZed Chronicles. I'm able to successfully create the reference design in Vivado consisting of only ZYNQ PS, generate bitstream, Export HW Design and also create software projects that run on the target device in the SDK via JTAG.

When attempting to create the boot image and flash, I've been unable to get the anywhere via QSPI or by placing the .bin file directly on the SD card and using the SD boot option switch.

Here are the steps I've taken thus far:

Create new Vivado Design project referencing the Digilent Arty-Z7-20 Board

Added the ZYNQ PS

Connected M_AXI_GP0_ACLK to FCLK_CLK0 and fast foward....generated Bitstream

Exported HW Design 

Create Sample Hello World Project in SDK (tested successfully and runs perfectly via JTAG)

Generate FSBL

Create Boot Image

- Added elf bootloader from FSBL

- Added bitstream from HW Export

-- This generates the bin file used to program flash in the next step

Program Flash

- Selected the HW Platform Exported from Vivado

- Used Image file created above

- No Offset

- Flash Type qspi_single

Flash programming completes successfully. I select QSPI, power cycle the board and fail to get the done LED on the board indicating that the FPGA bitstream has been downloaded. I place the same bitfile named boot.bin on the SD card and get the same result. Nothing.

Any suggestions? Is there some strange delta w/ the Digilent board I'm using that I don't know about. Additionally, the example bin file provided by Digilent works perfectly.

1 answer to this question

Archived