How to restore FT2232 EEPROM back to factory settings?

mixsemi

Question

Hi Everyone,

Just accidentally flashed the EEPROM attached to the FT2232 device on the Arty. The board is dead without the USB connection. Been using for 2 months without issues until today.

In Vivado it is showing:

"ERROR: [Labtoolstcl 44-469] There is no current hw_target.". 

when trying to Auto Connect with the target in Hardware Manager.

Within FT_Prog (FTDI's flash tool), the registers (e.g. serial number, vendor ID, D2XX/VCP driver ...) can all be read and modified. How can it be restored back to Digilent factory setting? Is there an FT_Prog template that we can use?

Thanks,

Robin

Hi @Egenco

You could modify the FTDI driver INF to have the same VID/PID you have accidentally programmed, see in device manager/ details/ hardware IDs.
The INF file lists the VID/PID/interfaces the driver is associated to. https://ftdichip.com/drivers/vcp-drivers/
This modification will break the certification of the Windows driver so you have to boot with disable driver signature enforcement in order to install the driver.
Then you should be able to connect with FT_Prog to your device to change the VID/PID back.
Uninstall the driver with delete checked and reboot.

https://hassanulmakers.wordpress.com/2015/03/13/unbrick-bricked-ftdi-chip/comment-page-1/

Hi @dovegeli,

What operating system are you using? I'm presuming that if FT_PROG is not able to find the device, you are also not able to see it in the Device Manager (if you are using Windows)? I'm also guessing you installed the cable drivers?

One other thing to check, as it happens more often than you would expect, would be to confirm you can get a reliable data connection with the cable you are using and it is not just a charging cable that won't actually let you "connect" with the board.

Thanks,
JColvin

I don't know about the staff at Digilent, but I'm getting weary of reading posts from silly people making their FPGA board usable because they decided to experiment with the hardware without first doing their homework or having a back-up plan when things go awry.

If you want to experiment with FTxxxH devices and high speed interfaces there is a correct way to do this that avoids having to make a post to the 'Thread of Shame' ( sadly this isn't the only one ). Over a year ago I was going to post a complete project with source code in the Project Vault and got very close for on using the CMAD-A735T. It wasn't perfect though was 'good enough' until I tried replicating the project on a different PC. I've concluded that the CMOD designs just aren't robust enough for Synchronous 245 FIFO mode. This project also targeted the Terasic DE0 Nano and that demo made use of the SDRAM on board. That one works perfectly for both the Windows and Linux PC platforms but I can't justify posting a project to a Digilent website that doesn't use any Digilent hardware.

I've recently been experimenting with FTxxxH devices and various interfaces... just because I'm a curious guy ( some may say in more ways than one...) and thinking that it's time to cobble up a demo to address the curiosity of those wanting to 'pimp out' out your hardware but don't know how to do it safely.

Anyone interested in a 12 Mbaud PC UART <--> FPGA board interface? Or perhaps a 32 Mbaud  or 48 Mbaud UART interface?

It does show up in the device manager.  I did not experiment with the board, it arrived in this condition.  I did try changing the cable, and used cables that worked with a zedboard.  I do a lot of development in a professional environment, but have not had one yet that doesn't appear in FT_PROG.  I am able to pick up all the other FTDI devices that I was testing with using the same calbe.

Dear @Bianca, @JColvin

I have the same problem. I used the FT_PROG utility provided by the FTDI to change the driver from "Virtual Com Port" to "D2XX Direct" to test an application that i am developing for my CMOD A7 35T board. After that I changed it back to "Virtual COM Port".

After that my board is no longer recognized by Vivado HW manager. It's state remains unconnected while CMOD is plugged and all power leds are ON.

Before using the FT_Prog utility arty was working perfect in Vivado.

FPGA firmware works good.

Windows 10, Vivado 2020.2