How to restore FT2232 EEPROM back to factory settings?

mixsemi

Question

Hi Everyone,

Just accidentally flashed the EEPROM attached to the FT2232 device on the Arty. The board is dead without the USB connection. Been using for 2 months without issues until today.

In Vivado it is showing:

"ERROR: [Labtoolstcl 44-469] There is no current hw_target.". 

when trying to Auto Connect with the target in Hardware Manager.

Within FT_Prog (FTDI's flash tool), the registers (e.g. serial number, vendor ID, D2XX/VCP driver ...) can all be read and modified. How can it be restored back to Digilent factory setting? Is there an FT_Prog template that we can use?

Thanks,

Robin

Hi @JColvin ,

I'm having the same problem as skakon . i accidentally erased EEPROM attached to the FT2232H device.

please guide me to restore EEPROM.

I have Arty S7 board!

I bought what others used.

Edited by ulim2001

Hi,

I have the same problem. I achieve to fix JTAG side with the fmt1 recovery procedure from an other digilent forum, but I unfortunatly lost the UART side maybe because fmt1 is not build with FTDI 2232...

Please, help!

Hi @julienV,

I am a little confused. Do you perhaps mean SMT1 rather than fmt1? Or, I suppose more specifically, which Digilent board are you working with?

I'm not certain which recovery procedure you are referring to since the one I am thinking of would have been sent via direct message and not posted (at least as far as I am aware of).

Thanks,
JColvin

Hi @JerryG,

The main reason that we don't simply provide the application is because like FTProg, the Digilent application is similarly dangerous in that it can very easily overwrite other devices that might be attached to your computer and those devices might not be so easy to recover.

In theory, we could post detailed instructions on how to use the application, but considering the number of accidents that still happen as evidenced by the posts on the Digilent forum alone, we feel that it is a better practice in the grand scheme of things to only distribute the application on a need basis.

Thanks,
JColvin

Dear JColvin!

I have the same problem of others in this topic! . i accidentally erased EEPROM attached to the FT2232H device Using FTprog and after Search  for Resolve, i find this forum!

please guide me to restore EEPROM.

In Vivado it is showing:

"ERROR: [Labtoolstcl 44-469] There is no current hw_target.". 

and please guide me how to prevent this Problem in future.

Hi @borhan,

What board are you using so I can help you restore the material?

As for preventing the problem in the future, the only recommendation I have would be to maintain extra caution when configuring different FTDI devices with FTProg or other similar programmers as they, as you and many others have found out, can very easily overwrite the configuration on a different board and not everything is easily reconfigured. It's an extra step in the process, but I would disconnect boards that you don't intend to program when using these types of programmers to prevent accidents.

Thanks,
JColvin

Hi @JColvin,

We have designed our own FPGA board with a FTDI chip on it. I was wondering if there is a way to purchase your EEPROM program and use it on our board so that the FPGA can be recognized by the Vivado hardware manager. Please let me know if you have a solution like that.

Thanks,
Behnam