How to restore FT2232 EEPROM back to factory settings?

mixsemi

Question

Hi Everyone,

Just accidentally flashed the EEPROM attached to the FT2232 device on the Arty. The board is dead without the USB connection. Been using for 2 months without issues until today.

In Vivado it is showing:

"ERROR: [Labtoolstcl 44-469] There is no current hw_target.". 

when trying to Auto Connect with the target in Hardware Manager.

Within FT_Prog (FTDI's flash tool), the registers (e.g. serial number, vendor ID, D2XX/VCP driver ...) can all be read and modified. How can it be restored back to Digilent factory setting? Is there an FT_Prog template that we can use?

Thanks,

Robin

Hello,

I mistakenly erased the EEPROM of my ARTY-A7 35T board when I needed to program the FTDI chip of another project. It is no longer recognized by Vivado. Could you please help me restore the old eeprom contents?

Thanks in advance.

Hi Everyone,

I  accidentally flashed the EEPROM attached to the FT2232 device on one of our CMOD-A7 35T, unfortunately it was just still in the USB-Port when I tried to flash an FT232H of another device. Does anyone has an idea how it can be restored back to Digilent factory setting?

Thank you very much, best regards

Karsten

Hello!

I've got 2 Digilent JTAG-SMT3-NC modules.

One of them is not visible in Vivado. 

In FT_Prog I can see that their EEPROM contents are different. The one is being detected has "4......V....5j.W1 tJgamS3t...D.giline tTjGAS-TM.3.." in the "Device Output", but the other one has not.
Could you send me instructions to recover it?

Hi @AlexeyTea,

Could you download the Digilent Adept system and let us know what you see when you connect to the JTAG SMT3? Additionally, how do you have the JTAG SMT3 NC loaded onto your host board so we can help confirm the implementation side of things? In general, we recommend that you don't use FT_PROG with the Digilent boards as it's very easy to accidentally erase the EEPROM on our boards as evidenced by the many pages of this forum topic.

Thanks,
JColvin

@JColvin,

I've got TUSB4041 1-to-4 usb hub and two identical jtag smt3 boards following it up (with the same implementation).
Digilent Adept just shows "No connected devices" when I power up the one which is being detected by FT_prog and not the Vivado.

I just replaced SMT3 board with the new one and it works. So it might be a bug in EEPROM due to electrostatic/physical damage, a manufacturing issue or just a counterfeit board.

I think my board got fried somehow too.  It's an Arty-S7.  It had been working great for a couple of months.  Windows Device Manager still recognizes it with two ports but I can't connect to the second port (which is the UART port).  I've tried it on two computers and neither will connect.  Other Arty boards work fine, so it seems the FTDI on this board somehow got damaged.  Not sure how it happened - I haven't done FT_PROG or anything - but if there's a way to fix it that would be great.  Can you please PM me with instructions?

Hi @JColvin ,

I'm having the same problem as skakon . i accidentally erased EEPROM attached to the FT2232H device.

please guide me to restore EEPROM.

I have Arty S7 board!

Edited by ulim2001