How does one connect the Analog Discovery wires to the mini-grabbers

dnovick

Question

I feel totally stupid, but am currently stumped. I've been using the Analog Discovery 2 for a while now. At the same time, I've had a set of the mini-grabbers that optionally go with it sitting around. I figured I'd hook 'em up today and start using them. Unfortunately, no matter what I try, I cannot figure out how to attach the probe wires to these mini grabbers. The only thing it says on the product page is that the probe contacts have to be facing outward. I've pushed, twisted, tried different angles to no avail. Does somebody have a picture they can upload that shows exactly how these buggers are supposed to be connected to the signal wires? Even a verbal explanation would help.

http://store.digilentinc.com/mini-grabber-test-clips-6-pack-for-use-with-analog-discovery-flywires/

Thanks,

Dave

7 answers to this question

Hi Dave,

I tried out some of the mini grabbers and was successfully able to get them in (although it was way more frustrating than I anticipated). The biggest helpful thing that I found was that I needed to rotate the flywires from the Analog Discovery so that the bit of exposed metal was facing out with the flatside of the mini grabber hook. I've attached a picture since I'm having trouble understanding my own explanation. I was then able to drive an LED with it through the Analog Discovery, so I presume it's all nicely connected.

I was never able to get them connected with that bit of exposed metal facing the edge of the grabber hook though, I always had to use the orientation that I described earlier.

Thanks,
JColvin

IMG_20161205_113415402.jpg

So, that's what I thought...and tried. I'm assuming that the metal pin inside the connector should make contact with the exposed part of the lead. Unfortunately, no matter how hard I jiggle, push, twist, and jump up and down, the lead will not go into the connector far enough to make contact and stay connected.

I feel like this should be much easier than I'm finding it to be. I suspect the problem is me, but I just cannot figure this out.

Dave

Sir,

Sorry for the late reply. I just got a chance to go back and try it the way you described. I'm almost ashamed now, as once I tried it the way your picture depicts, it was as easy as can be. I thought for sure I had tried every possibility. Obviously not.

Thanks much for the help. Hmmm...I actually like these a lot. I think I'll have to order another set or two for my son's AD2....the first set were for me. :-).

Now I need to go back and figure out why the little BNC board I purchased from you to be able to use scope probes with the AD2 didn't work the first time I tried. I suspect it is once again, user error.

Dave

On the Analog Discovery BNC adapter board the Scope P inputs and AWG channels are wired to the BNC connector, and the Scope Ns are grounded.
These are not connected/ not available on the other end of the adapter board only through the BNCs.

For the Scope use 1/10X probe.

Archived