Error trying to Program FPGA in SDK (on ZedBoard)

VolodymyrG

Question

I have an error trying to Program FPGA or launch program(Run/Debug) by Xilinx SDK on ZedBoard (through J17 USB-JTAG) with connected Analog Discovery 2 to the same laptop.

I noticed that Analog Discover 2 USB interface and ZedBoard’s USB-JTAG (J17) have the same hardware id VID/PID. So the issue can be caused by that.

Using Vivado: Program and Debug->Open Hardware Manager-> Open Target I can select correct USB interface and can program FPGA. In SDK I have an error listed below.

Is there are any way to recognize hardware target in SDK and configure hardware server by some additional info (Device instance path(exmpl: USB\VID_0403&PID_6014\210248782835), TID, UID(Hardware target properties in Vivado HW manager)) to be able Program FPGA or launch program?

Is there any other way to handle this USB conflict.

Vivado rev 2014.3.1
Errors:
1) FPGA Configuration failed.Connection to Board Failed
    Failed to open Cable Node jsn-Analog Discovery 2-210321A3689C on TCP:127.0.0.1:3121

2) Unexpected error while launching program.
com.xilinx.sdk.targetmanager.TMException: Connection to Board Failed
    Failed to open Cable Node jsn-Analog Discovery 2-210321A3689C on TCP:127.0.0.1:3121
    at com.xilinx.sdk.targetmanager.internal.TM.isFPGAConfigured(TM.java:372)
    at com.xilinx.sdk.debug.core.XilinxAppLaunchConfigurationDelegate.isFpgaConfigured(XilinxAppLaunchConfigurationDelegate.java:299)
    at com.xilinx.sdk.debug.core.XilinxAppLaunchConfigurationDelegate.launch(XilinxAppLaunchConfigurationDelegate.java:247)
    at com.xilinx.sdk.debug.ui.XilinxAppLaunchDelegateWrapper.launch(XilinxAppLaunchDelegateWrapper.java:31)

4 answers to this question

Hi Volodymr,

I found a thread at xilinx support here that deals with multiple devices being used in sdk and how to differentiate between them. It looks like that this issue might be resolved with a newer version of sdk. I would suggest downloading the most current stable version of Vivado and sdk which is 2016.2 and hopefully that resolves your issue. 

cheers,

Jon

Hi Jon,

Thank you for your help.

Unfortunately we can not migrate to newer version of sdk right now.
Like a temporary workaround for this issue I added few low level commands which are called by UART command. But in this case I can not use Analog Discover 2 to debug ZedBoard’s using USB-JTAG.

I'm think this question can be closed.

P.S. It will be good if debug comm. interface like USB-JTAG(ZedBoard) and USB interface to logic analyzer will have an different hardware id VID/PID. Please take it into account in future releases.

Thanks,

Volodymyr

Archived