Why can't SDK and Terminal both work together?

pjcoleman52

Question

I have a ZYBO and Vivado 2016.2 running on a PC with Windows 7 Professional.

I used the simplest Xilinx tutorial which just has the Processor block with UART-1. It makes as per the instructions.

When i power on the ZYBO with external power and JP5 set to JTAG .... COM4 appears in Device Manager.

I can run the program Hello_world and SDK is happy.

If I connect a PUTTY to COM4 and try to run the program then SDK reports that it can't find "local" which is the name of the Target connection.

If I disconnect the PUTTY and run the program then it is OK but I can't connect the PUTTY to COM4.

I have reloaded the Xilinx cable drivers but no change.

This is somewhat frustrating to say the least.

Help please.

Thanks from Patrick

3 answers to this question

Hi patrick,

I just did your design with no issues. I first made a project(using the board files that should be installed using the tutorial here).I next opened a block design, added the zynq processor and attached the fclk_clk0 to the m_axi_gpo_aclk. Next i validated the design and Created a wrapper by clicking into source on the block design and right clicking on the project and creating a wrapper. I then generated a bitstream. Next i exported the hardware including the bitstream. Then I launched SDK. Once in sdk i created a new application, named it and clicked next and selected hello world and clicked finish. I then clicked on xilinx tools and programed fpga. Lastly i right clicked on the application i made and ran as and launch on hardware. I had not connected tera term(similar to putty) yet so i opened and set up tera term using default setting except the baud rate is 115200 instead  of 9600. i had to re-run as launch on hardware so the hello world would print on the terminal. Also, I would suggest using this tutorial. It will walk you though setting up the uart,leds and switches. It also has screen shots of some what i discussed in this post. Hope this helps!

zybo4.jpg

zybo3.jpg

zybo2.jpg

zybo6.jpg

Hi jpeyron,

Thanks for this response.

I agree this is a good method for creating a minimal system and that the process in the tutorial is fine too.

I did the tutoruial and the switches operate the leds.

However The problem I have is that the Xilinx download mechanism and the terminal can't seem to share the COM port. I would expect them to otherwise how can you debug ?

Should i be using a special driver ?

Regards

Patrick

Well it appears that the answer to my problem .... like a lot of these things was really quite simple.......

There should be two COM ports when the ZYBO is attached via the USB cable to the PROG/UART port.

To solve my problem I navigated to the /<vivado installation>/data/xicom/cable_drivers/nt64/digilent/

and clicked on the install_digilent application.

I ignored the prompt that told me it was already installed and up to date and re-installed it.

So when i plugged the ZYBO USB cable in then Windows installed the drivers and a second COM port appeared. ( COM4 + COM5 )

I opened VIVADO and SDK nd connected a terminal to COM5.

Ran the software and .....got that magical phrase "Hello World" in the terminal window.

So problem solved.

Now in my more complex tutorial ... using the FPGA to connect to the buttons ... this works too.

Finally I can proceed with the real work. ;-))))))

All the best

Patrick

Archived