Trigger detection problems on linux, only with python and cpp samples

Daniel Rech

Question

I have a weird issue with my Analog Discovery 2 and I was wondering if there are ideas out there how to track it:

I use a Digilent Adept with the Waveforms 3.3.7 software on linux. It seems to work fine but does not detect my triggers.

If I use the provided pyhton examples or C examples trigger detection does not work meaning the program just stays in "Waiting for trigger" state all the time.
But if I use the dwfcmd:

cd /usr/share/digilent/waveforms/samples/dwfcmd && dwfcmd analogintrigger.txt

I get one trigger without a problem.

It took me so much time to detect this behavior and now I don't have any idea how to solve this. The dwfcmd is not powerful enough for my application but maybe I'll end up modifying the code to fit my needs.

I'd really like to keep using python, any ideas what I am doing wrong or any known bugs?

Thanks

Daniel Rech

5 answers to this question

Hi Daniel,

I'm sorry to hear that you keep encountering issues with the WaveForms software. I'm personally not able to offer any advice, but I have asked the appropriate applications engineer to take a look at this thread; they are in a different timezone than I am though, so I don't know how long it will be before they check back in to the Forum.

Thank you for your patience,
JColvin

Ok, I'll look into it.

The example you uplaoded uses DigitalIn. Which pins should I connect to the trigger signal?

Is it wrong to use the AnalogIn to generate a trigger signal?

The core of my problem is a weird behavior with Linux and kernels > 3.8.

If I run my program on a Beaglebone Black with a 3.8 kernel, the triggering works fine, but if I run the same program on a Raspberry Pi 3 with a kernel 4.4 the scope seems to crash without a message.

Only the dwfcmd seems to work with the kernel 4.4 system.

As most of the trigger signals except External1,2 are internal ones, there is no need to connect anything to T1,2.
dev1.png

In the earlier example the DigitalIn instrument is triggered by Detector-DigitalIn which is configured to trigger on rising edge of DIO7.

Unfortunately Analog Discovery is not working with Raspberry PI. See:

On 16.11.2016 at 4:24 PM, attila said:

Unfortunately Analog Discovery is not working with Raspberry PI. See:

Ok, then I'll stop trying to get it working :)

Thank you for you help.

I am using the Digilent Adept 2 with an older Beaglebone Black image (kernel 3.8) and it works perfectly.

Archived