SHKLO

SHKLO

Question

HI , I am all new on this, I just received my order of the buddle Labview + BBB.

I installed all the softwares according to the tutorial, including Labview, VI manager, linx, but when I connect the beaglebone to my PC, I can see the mass storage and the start file. However when I tried the run the driver download , I am getting error indicating failing to load the drivers . On the other hand , if I disconnect the USB and power the BBBwith 4AA battery, there was just no light from any of the on-board LED.

Am I missing something , a software problem or hardware problem

Does the buddle only for The Labview 2014, it is the only version I am entitled to ?

I need your help. 

IMG_0270.JPG

11 answers to this question

Yes the bundle is only for the 2014 version because that is the LabVIEW version that supports LINX 3.0. 

The problem is occuring because the installer is unsigned, this means you need to restart Windows in the mode where it allows you to install unsigned drivers.

Here's a quick step-by-step guide:

1. Press win+c on the keyboard to bring up the charms side bar (or move mouse to right top corner of the screen)

2. Click the Settings button.

3. Click the Change PC Settings at the bottom of the sidebar.

4. On screen that shows up, select the General option from the sidebar then scroll down the page that appears.

5. Click the Restart now button under the Advanced startup section.

6. You will momentarily see the restarting screen, then it will switch to a blue screen titled "Choose an option"

7. Click the Troubleshoot button.

8. Click Advanced options.

9. Click Startup Settings

10. Click Restart

11. You should then see a Startup Settings screen after your computer reboots.

12. Press 7 or F7 on your keyboard to Disable driver signature enforcement

13. Now Windows 8 will continue starting up.

14. Log-in as normal, and then run BONE_D64.exe again

15. Now you should see 4 warning dialogs about "unsigned driver installation", click OK for all of them.

Then you should be good to go!

Hope that helps,

Austin Stanton

Thank you very much, it works fine now.  And i am able to run the first Blink example.

I am using the USB to power and communicate with BBB, however When I use the battery pack to power the BBB, none of the LED lights up and the BBB is dead, battery power is checked and works fine with my arduino .  Is this normal ? Hardware problem?

Hi SHKLO,

Digilent does not manufacture the BBB, so we can't fully speak towards it. Looking at it's reference manual though and the associated datasheet for the power management chip, it appears that battery input voltage range needs to be between 2.75V and 5.5V, and judging from this thread, it appears to be a fairly strict requirement (based on the responses by Gerald, who is the author of the BBB system reference manual). What voltage is your battery power supplying?

Thanks,
JColvin

Hi jcovin, really apppreciate your help. I have given up on the bbb for the time being and use Labview with a uno. I am now able to do simple Labview programming , I am able to do blink and try out the pmodgyro I got , and they all works fine.  

1) But when I tried the pmodacl I got hooking it up using spi , I am getting constant for the three axis and -vet temperature reading, the Labview program example I use is Linx pmodacl2,   Am I missing something. Does pmodacl and pmodacl2 the same?

2) I also try to use two xbee to do the communication instead of USB , i started with a simple blink , configure the pair so they can talk , hook up USB to computer, and tx rcv pwd pin in uno, but didn't change anything on the Labview as I assume xbee is transparent to Labview .  Am I missing something.

Hi Shklo,

The LINX VIs for the PmodACL are set up to use I2C rather than SPI (; the PmodACL2 does use SPI, but since it uses a different accelerometer chip, the LINX VIs that exist for the two Pmods are not cross compatible due to the fact that the chips have different data registers. What you would need to do is either set up the PmodACL to use I2C on your Arduino Uno or change the read commands on the ACL2 VIs so that works with the PmodACL. I can help you do that if you would like, although I probably won't be able to until this coming Monday (the 21st).

I have personally never used XBee with LabVIEW so I am not familiar with how LabVIEW handles it. I have asked one of our engineers who is much more familiar with LabVIEW about this; they'll get back to you here on the Forum.

Thanks,
JColvin

Hi JColvin,

many thanks, I finally modified  the Linx VI for the Pmodgyro and substitute the gyro sub-Vi  with a ADXL 345 I2c linx vi , and it works. I did the trig calculation and was able to calculate pitch,yaw,roll angle. Great learning.  

As for the gyro, I did the intergration to get the absolute degeee for yaw,roll,pitch. And it works perfectly when I move the gyro around. The problem is there's seems to be a drift - that is when I kept the gyro fixed, the initial zero drifted slowly, probably because we are integrating some spike, how do I get rid of it?

Really appreciate your help with the xbee communication, I look forward to hear your advice.

Hi Shklo,

I'm glad to hear you got the PmodACL working for you. As for the drift on the PmodGYRO that you are observing for the initial zero value, I'm guessing that is probably some of the offset from the zero value that is mentioned in the associated datasheet for the onboard chip (link). What I would end up doing (while keeping the PmodGYRO still) is probably read any initial values that you are getting from the module, wait one second (or longer), then read the values again, and calculate the degrees per second. After doing that, I would then subtract (or add, if the value turns out to be negative) that initially calculated value from all measured values in the future. In LabVIEW, I would end up doing that in the Gyro Open VI, and then have that value either be passed to Gyro Read VI to be calculated internally or add/subtract the value from the output cluster of the Gyro Read VI.

As for the xbee, our engineers who are more familiar with LabVIEW (and are also moderators on the LabVIEW MakerHub Forums) haven't used xbee before, so they don't have any direct advice on how to use it in that regard. They did mention that if the xbee module you are using (I'm not sure which one you have) uses UART to communicate with the Uno board, then you wouldn't be able to have LabVIEW communicate with the Uno as well as the xbee board since the Uno only has one serial port.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Thanks,
JColvin

Hi jcovin, 

i was trying out the digilent pmod oled but having a lot of trouble getting it working using the Labview VI LINX example. I found out that the example is for SSD1306 driver, while the driver for PMODOLED is SSD1311.  I used the sketch example from arduino with the particular ssd1311 driver and it works. Is there an example VI using SSD1331 ? How do I get it?

thanks

shklo

Hi shklo,

I am not aware of a VI for the PmodOLED but Here is a thread that talks about getting the PmodAD1 working in LINX with Raspberry PI 3.  At the bottom of the thread I link to a few different places to get assistance with LabVIEW and working with the Pmods.  Hope this helps!

cheers,

Jon

Archived