newbie questions

echristian

Question

I bought a basys3 and a nexys4 ddr

1.) I tried to use web pack vivado, but when i simulate or build bitstream files(.bin or .bit) i get error no license. so i downloaded xilinx ise.

2.) with ise i can produce bit and bin files, but how do you get them to the device. I guess i could put them on a micro sd card and use the jumper.....but that does not transfer them to the non-volatile flash right? How can i transfer them to non-volatile flash?

Thanks in advance 

Eddie

5 answers to this question

Alex and echristian, 

You cannot use the ISE license with Vivado. You have to get a new Vivado webpack license, which is free and you can use the same email. For the Basys 3 and Nexys 4 DDR you can use the built in Vivado hardware manager to target the boards. This learn module goes through the steps of generating a bit file and programming the board. 

Let me know if you have any more questions!

Kaitlyn

Hi Eddie, I don't think you can create any project for Artix 7 in ISE Webpack. Have you looked at the Xilinx forum about the Vivado license?If you have a Xilinx ISE Webpack license already, you should be able to reuse that in Vivado. 

Hi, do you use target Artix 7 XC7A100T-1CSG324C on Nexys 4 DDR in ISE Webpack?  If so, you should be able to create a bit stream file. To program the flash throuhg IMPACT, you need to create .mcs file. I suggest going to Xilinx forum and looking for the IMPACT getting started guide. 

Archived