TimJPL

Analog Discovery 2 Logic Analyzer Sample Rate

Question

I'm trying to watch an SPI interface running at 1MHz. When I try to set up the AD2 logic analyzer, I can't find the setting to change the sampling rate. It seems stuck at 200Khz. The AD2 advertises 2MS/sec, but I can't figure out how to configure the logic analyzer to do that.

10 answers to this question

If by this you mean the "Base" dropdown list in the upper right hand corner, I lowered it to 500ns/div, but it still shows "2000 samples at 200Khz".

scope.png

Press Single or Run to take new acquisition(s).

For 4 wire SPI add two SPI interpreters, one with MOSI and the other one with MISO data.

To acquire larger amount of samples than the 4k (or 2k sample + 2k noise) device buffer use the Record Mode. In this mode the sample rate is limited by the USB bandwidth to around 1-2MHz.

Edited by attila

One more thought.  Is it possible to reduce the number of channels sampled in order to increase the sample rate in the record mode?  e.g. only sample 4 channels for a increase of 4x the sample rate?  

@attilla - thanks for the confirmation. 

I have one more question - if the sample rate in record mode can be "1-2MHz", any suggestions for why I get error messages and warning messages right down to about 100kHz sample rate?  Is there anything I can do to ensure a consistent capture at 2MHz as that's what I need for my 400kHz I2C protocol?  I'm connected directly to my PC's USB port (no hub, although I tried that too).

Such low record rate could be caused by some buggy USB 3 controllers or drivers. Some people say that an USB 2 hub solved this problem.
Unckeck recording noise to double the supported record rate.