Max 32 "no target found" with Arduino IDE

Mark248

Question

I am having an issue with the chipkit max32. I bought this controller awhile ago. It is rev D. I have never used it before until now. I cannot connect it to arduino IDE. I have nothing connected to it other than the usb cable. I have purchased a new usb cable to verify the cable is good. When i try to upload a simple sketch it will compile properly but will not upload. I get the error message "An error occured while uploading the sketch". Further information reads "No target found." 

I have downloaded the chipkit core and selected the chipKIT MAX32. The board shows up as com 6 when plugged in and i have selected this.

When i plug the board in theLD3 led goes solid. The LD1 and LD2 leds blink twice. When i try to upload the sketch there is no change to any leds. 

I have read that there were ossues with the bootloader but i do not have a programmer to change the bootloader. 

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Mark

25 answers to this question

Hi Jon,

I guess I found the source of the mistake. When I connect the Max32 card it immediately opens the serial port and sends data for PC. (With mentioned bootloader). So the programmer software can no longer access the COM port.

The other cards do not do this.

Have you an idea of what might cause this? (The ftdi chip has its "own life"..???....)

image.png.149df7cfb482c8db071512b9dda6d390.png

tibi

Hi @snapscan,

We verified the compiler you are using works with our MAX32.  Have you re-verified that you are using the correct com port? Do you have any security firewall that might be interfering with the com port? Do you have any other usb devices plugged into your PC? Have you deleted the Arduino IDE and re-installed the it (making sure to deleted the arduino15 folder)?

thank you,

Jon

Hi Jon,

I have tried use the latest digilent core. The problem is still there.

Other three cards work without problems with current setup (Nano, Leonardo and Zero) as see in picture.

I do not know where the mistake might be...

tibi

error_06.PNG

Hi Jon,

I have the same problem with chipkit32 than Mark. It's been two years since then and yet the same mistake. I've tried everything that you suggested was written above.

Can you help me?

Arduino IDE: 1.8.5

ChipKit Core 2.0.5

Tibi

error_01.PNG

error_02.png

error_03.PNG

Hi Jon,

Yes that is where I downloaded it from. I have still not gotten this to work but I have decided to put it aside for now.I bought an Arduino Mega and have already completed my project.

Thanks for your responses.

Mark   

Hi Jon,

I have been trying to get mpide to run on my computer but it will not work. I downloaded the program, updated my java and now when i try and open mpide it looks like it is loading for a split second and then disappears. I have tried running it as an administrator, running it in compatibility mode with windows 8 & 7 settings. Nothing seems to be working.

Jon,

I am running Windows 10. My FTDI driver version is 2.12.16.0. I tried the update driver but it says its up to date. I don't have any other chipkit boards to try. i do have an old arduino board that works fine.

Thanks,

Mark

ftdi.JPG

Hi Mark,

What OS are you running? What FTDI driver version do you have installed? I have screen shots of my driver and com port from the device manager. I am running windows 8.1.

Do you have any other boards that you are able to use with the Arduino IDE? Im also curious about the the "error downloading http://downloads.arduino.cc/packages/package_index.json" on the bottom of the board manager page. 

thank you,

Jon

max32_esc5.jpg

Hi Mark,

First, make sure to have arduino 1.6.12(newest version) installed.  Secondly, have downloaded the most current version of the chipkit cores. Also make sure that you have selected the correct board as shown below. Let us know if this does not fix the issue.

thank you,

Jon 

max32_esc.jpg

Archived