Analog Discovery Wavegen Sync Out

Rowanth

Question

Hi,

I am working for an instructional laboratory where we have a number of the Analog Discovery devices that we are using as oscilloscopes.  Our primary issue is triggering?  We have some experiments that require at least three scope inputs and a waveform generator.  We are trying to get two of the devices to sync nicely with each other using the in/out triggers, to trigger two scopes simultaneously.  Much to our surprise, we found that the wavegen trigger out, is simply high when running and low when it is not as opposed to the standard TTL sync out found on most devices.

Is there anyway to have the trigger out signal be TTL, similar to the Sync Out of a standard function generator? 

Alternatively if there is a way to make a single device act as a four input scope, that would satisfy our needs as well.

Thanks 

2 answers to this question

Hello,

With such free running Sync signal the acquisitions of multiple scopes can't be synchronized. Due to the latency in arming of the two Scopes one can get the Nth and the other one the N+1th sync event.
In case you need such Sync signal, you can use a Digital Pattern Generator clock signal that you can synchronize/phase with the Wavegen.

To synchronize the Scope acquisitions I think it is better to: use Wavegen as Trigger output signal, connect this to second device as Trigger input, configure/arm Scopes to trigger on External Trigger signal with desired time position, configure/start Wavegen.
In case you are using Script or SDK make sure to leave sufficient prefil time after Scope arming before starting Wavegen.

For high frequency analysis take in consideration the +/-10ns difference in triggering and jitter between the device oscillators.

Hello,

i had a similar problem the last days. Generating a signal with the digital patterngenerator is unfortunately not possible synchron. In my signals there was a small drift over the time.

I use the master slave principle of the analog out and generate on AnalogOut1 the needed signal and on AnalogOut2 a rectangular function (5V) with the same frequency. Then connecting the analogOut2 to the external trigger input and us it for the scopes. If you have any other ideas i would be happy to get these information.

Greetings.

Archived