WaveForms on Ubuntu 16.04

Carl

Question

Installed WaveForms 3.3.7 (64bit) on Ubuntu 16.04 recommended adept runtime.  However waveforms failed to run indicating that it required a library (libdmgr) requiring installation of adept runtime 2.16.5 (64bit).  The adept.runtime should be marked as required instead of recommended for waveforms.

2 answers to this question

Hi Carl,

I have been a Linux user since about 1991, starting with Slackware. I sympathize with your frustration, however would point out that Linux distributions are not Windows or Mac, and require a level of involvement not usually expected with other OS's. Having said that, perhaps the packaging of the Digilent WaveForms needs someone to help make it better. I don't use Ubuntu since I don't like it or Debian for that matter, preferring Fedora (and RedHat) over them. On Fedora 24, I was able to get connected to my AD2 in less than 15 minutes from time of unboxing, although I did have to install the RPM's for Adept, in order to see the device on the usb port. Also, I don't know your computer competency level, and do not mean any disregard in that area, just merely sharing my thoughts on frustrations of using open source software. I find Fedora to satisfy my requirements, and generally to behave with various hardware I use it on.

Hi Carl,

I ran into the same problem while installing Digilent's "Waveforms 2015" package on Ubuntu 16.04.1 via the installer named "digilent.waveforms_3.3.7_amd64.deb".  When I invoked the "waveforms" command in my shell through Terminal, I received the following error message:

$ waveforms
/usr/lib/digilent/waveforms/waveforms: error while loading shared libraries: libdmgr.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I was able to resolve this problem by also installing Digilent's "Adept" package, named "digilent.adept.runtime_2.16.5-amd64.deb", which I downloaded from:

https://reference.digilentinc.com/reference/software/adept/start

After installing "Adept", I was immediately able to successfully launch "Waveforms" from both the shell and the desktop menu when the Analog Discovery 2 was not connected.

Now I'm faced with a new problem: when I start "Waveforms 2015" with the Analog Discovery 2 connected, Waveforms 2015 fails to start and the shell displays the error message:

$ sudo waveforms
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

Please post back to let me & the rest of the community know if this helped you.

Also, please don't get discouraged by other posters on the forum.  I've been developing professionally for Linux for about 10 years (I'm not affiliated with Digilient) and assert that there should not be "rough edges" like this merely because "it's Linux".

Chris

Archived