JTAG-HS3 vs JTAG-HS2

abe

Question

We wish to purchase a few more programming pods and would like to know if we should purchase the  JTAG-HS3 or the  JTAG-HS2. In the past we bought the  JTAG-HS2. We are using an ARTIX-7 and a KINTEX-7. (On another project we use the ZYNQ-7000). When should I buy the  JTAG-HS3 and when would I buy JTAG-HS2? What is the advantage of one over the other and what does one do that the other does not do?

3 answers to this question

Hi Abe,

The only difference i can find between the JTAG-HS3 and the JTAG-HS2 is that the JTAG-HS3 can communicate to the processor reset of the ZYNQ-7000. If you need to reset the processor core of Xilinx’s Zynq® platform then go with the JTAG-HS3.

cheers,

Jon

The web pages and data sheets indicate that HS3 can't program SPI flash chips and HS2 can, so for some users, that could be a reason to have at least one HS2 on hand.  In my case at present, I'm working with Zynq devices and I'm sure there are ways of passing FLASH code through the device using JTAG and possibly some PS code (still to be explored), but the HS2 provides a direct hardware method and I believe Digilent has drivers to simplify using that capability.

Archived