Mac + Analog Discovery 2 + Waveforms 2015: No device detected

Krizzle

Question

Hi folks - I have a Mac running 10.10.5 and another with 10.11 both not connecting to the Analog Discovery 2 hardware over USB. What I know:

• Hardware works fine from a Windows VM on the Mac
  • Plugging in the AD2 loads kext com.digilent.driver.DigilentFtdiDriver AND com.apple.driver.AppleUSBFTDI
  • Neither removing com.apple.driver.AppleUSBFTDI via kextunload nor deleting the kext file helps
  • Following the *awesome* steps at this post didn't help - WaveForms sees and loads the driver (no logs spit out normally; logs spit out when I rename driver) but still no dice
  • Keeping AD2 unplugged while restarting: no dice
  • Reinstalling WafeForms and DigilentFtdiDriver-1.0.3.pkg - no dice

Any ideas? Eager to get working on Macs. 

Hi @zaxxon @malexander

That error log is not an error. It is generated when dinfoFWVERRom is called during the device enumeration process in the DWF library. For Analog Discovery this is not used, it is ignored even if it fails.

In the above output the device is detected by the DWF library so it should be also detected by the WF application.

Hi all, 

I just bought the AD2 last week and found the device not working with my MacBook Pro (Mid 2014, running Mojave 10.14.4, upgraded on top of sierra): no device detected. I subsequently read all this and other related threats and tried all the tips. Yesterday I got it working. Here is the system that worked for me

1) hooking the AD2 to a 5V / 2.4A power supply (I use this one: https://www.reichelt.com/ch/en/single-output-power-supply-5-v-2-4-a-gs15e-1p1j-p161604.html?&trstct=pol_2

2) installing a fresh copy of waveforms

3) installing the FTDI drivers and restart

All other items are standard (stock USB cable as supplied in the AD2 package). 

Notably it only started working after I installed the FTDI drivers, which are, as described in the package, are only used for older OSX versions. I speculate that is issue is correlated with an upgraded OSX system rather than a fresh install. 

I hope this helps all who experience trouble with this great device.

I was going through the same issues mentioned in this forum - running OSX 10.14 Mojave. Finally the solution was the following 

Open terminal 

sudo su 

enter your password 

Now cd to /Library/Extensions

now delete any kext file with FTDI using 

rm -rf filename.kext

restart the Mac and after restart plug in your analog discovery 2 module.... 

should work after this..