How to interface USB Keyboard to Zybo board

Rohit

Question

Hello,

I want to connect USB keyboard to Zynq Zybo board. But it takes USB OTG as input. I previously had a code which included ps2data and ps2clk signals.

I am not sure about how to do this interface with Zybo board. 

Any help will be appreciated !

Thanks,

Rohit

4 answers to this question

Hey Rohit,

The USB host functionality on the Zybo runs between the multiplexed IO at the ARM processor to an IC at the USB OTG port. The communication between this PHY and the processor is not something that I would recommend trying to develop yourself. The fastest way to getting peripherals interfaced with the board would be to run an embedded Linux image on it, for which there already exists drivers that would handle communication with various USB peripheral devices (something through PetaLinux would be quick to implement).

If, however, you are trying to bring in an existing design that is written all in programmable logic and uses a PS2 controller you have already written, then you would need to grab something like the PmodPS2, which would allow you to enable your controller in the FPGA. I may have assumed the specifics of your project incorrectly though, so if this does not get you pointed in the right direction please let us know what your specific usage is so he can better help you.

-Nate

@NAEastland

Thanks for your suggestions.

I tried to implement the interface with PmodPS2 as you suggested. It works perfectly fine when I connect a PS/2 keyboard. Now when I am trying my *USB keyboard* and using USB to PS2 converter (which looks like http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA27C3GT8407), it is not working ! Please let me know if you have any idea or suggestions to debug this problem.

--Rohit

Archived