Multiple Atlys Boards On Same Pc

nlupugla

Question

My lab is currently using an ATLYS board to run an experiment on a piece of hardware. We'd like to collect as much data as possible, which may involve having multiple instances of the hardware, each connected to a different ATLYS board. Is it possible to have more than one ATLYS connected via Ethernet to a given PC? If so, what is the maximum practical amount and what are the best practices for accomplishing this? If not, are there any alternatives you can suggest? Thanks!

3 answers to this question

Hi nlupugla,

Apparently the Digilent Adept software that I was mentioning does not support connecting to an Atlys board through Ethernet; I apologize for any confusion that I may have caused. After talking with support, Digilent does not personally offer any software to gather information from an Atlys board, so we would not be able to offer support for the particular software you might happen to be using.

Generally speaking though, this is what I learned from our support team: 

However, if they were to host a TCP/IP server on the PC and have the Atlys boards connect to it should be possible to have many boards connected. I'm not sure what the practical limit is, as that's going to depend on the following factors: the amount of bandwidth required for each connection, the amount of CPU required to process any data that's received from the Atlys boards, and the number of switch/hub ports available to connect the PC and Atlys boards together on the same network.

I hope this helps out!

Thanks,

JColvin

Hi nlupugla,

I believe it would be possible to get multiple Atlys boards connected to a PC if each board had its own instance of the Adept software. You would then be able to program all of your boards separately and receive data from them through their respective Adept screen in parallel.

I'm not sure on the best practices for this or possible alternatives, but I will find out more information and get back to you.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

JColvin

Archived