Orbit Booster pack resistor

JColvin

Question

A customer on our website asked the following question:

I ordered the orbit booster pack for the Tiva C board from mouser. i was looking over it and noticed R4 was not populated on the board after i took the QC sticker off. I don't think the resistor came off from taking that sticker off. Anyway after checking the schematic it looks like a 200 ohm resistor should be there. Should this component be populated? I'm not sure how critical this resistor is for the function of the MOSI. i have used boards without  having a resistor at this type of connection. If this should be populated what package is this resistor so i could put one on. 0402?

The response is below.

1 answer to this question

Hello,

That particular component should be populated with a 200 Ohm 0402 sized resistor. In terms of board functionality it is not critical; I'm fairly certain that it just acts as a current limiting resistor in case a short somehow occurs. In your situation, that particular pin will transfer signals at a faster rate than the other SPI pins that still have their resistors, but I do not anticipate this being a problem since I suspect the SPI controller on the LaunchPad will not run fast enough for you to encounter this (I could be wrong though).

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Thanks,
JColvin

Archived