Problem with Using PMod IPs example project

dnovick

Question

After successfully creating and running the Microblaze example project on my Nexys4DDR, I went on to create the project that walks through how to use the various Pmods. I followed the instructions carefully, and succesfully generate the bitstream and export the HW including bitstream. The SDK launches fine as well. However, when I go to create the new empty application, I receive the following error, "Project cannot be created. Reason: Internal error". When I click on "Details>>" I read the following: 

Internal Error: 
Failed to closesw "D:/Projects/FPGA/IPMod1/IPMod1.sdk/pmods_bsp/system.mss"
Reason: Cannot close sw design 'D:/Projects/FPGA/IPMod1/IPMod1.sdk/pmods_bsp/system.mss'.
Design is not opened in the current session.

I notice first and foremost that the pmods_bsp directory doesn't exist under the IPMod1.sdk folder. Of course, this means also that none of the referenced files from that folder exist either. This would seem to be the root of the problem. However, I have no idea why this folder wasn't created nor how to resolve the issue.

Any help is appreciated.

Dave

I also found the following in the SDK.log. I'm not sure if this helps. From what I can tell the generate_bsp process is failing.

11:42:18 ERROR    : (XSDB Server)ERROR: [Hsi 55-1545] Problem running tcl command ::sw_standalone_v5_5::post_generate : couldn't execute "mb-ar": invalid argument
    while executing
"exec $archiver -d $libgloss_a _interrupt_handler.o"
    (procedure "::sw_standalone_v5_5::post_generate" line 18)
    invoked from within
"::sw_standalone_v5_5::post_generate standalone"

11:42:18 ERROR    : (XSDB Server)ERROR: [Hsi 55-1443] Error(s) while running TCL procedure post_generate()

11:42:18 ERROR    : (XSDB Server)ERROR: [Hsi 55-1450] Error: running generate_bsp.

11:42:18 ERROR    : Failed to closesw "D:/Projects/FPGA/IPMod1/IPMod1.sdk/pmods_bsp/system.mss"
Reason: Cannot close sw design 'D:/Projects/FPGA/IPMod1/IPMod1.sdk/pmods_bsp/system.mss'.

11:42:32 ERROR    : (XSDB Server)ERROR: [Hsi 55-1545] Problem running tcl command ::sw_standalone_v5_5::post_generate : couldn't execute "mb-ar": invalid argument
    while executing
    invoked from within

11:42:32 ERROR    : (XSDB Server)ERROR: [Hsi 55-1443] Error(s) while running TCL procedure post_generate()

11:42:32 ERROR    : (XSDB Server)ERROR: [Hsi 55-1450] Error: running generate_bsp.

11:42:32 ERROR    : Failed to closesw "D:/Projects/FPGA/IPMod1/IPMod1.sdk/pmods_bsp/system.mss"

11:42:56 ERROR    : (XSDB Server)ERROR: [Hsi 55-1545] Problem running tcl command ::sw_standalone_v5_5::post_generate : couldn't execute "mb-ar": invalid argument
    while executing
    invoked from within

11:42:56 ERROR    : (XSDB Server)ERROR: [Hsi 55-1443] Error(s) while running TCL procedure post_generate()

11:42:56 ERROR    : (XSDB Server)ERROR: [Hsi 55-1450] Error: running generate_bsp.

11:42:56 ERROR    : Failed to closesw "D:/Projects/FPGA/IPMod1/IPMod1.sdk/pmods_bsp/system.mss"

11:51:58 ERROR    : (XSDB Server)ERROR: [Hsi 55-1545] Problem running tcl command ::sw_standalone_v5_5::post_generate : couldn't execute "mb-ar": invalid argument
    while executing
    invoked from within

11:51:58 ERROR    : (XSDB Server)ERROR: [Hsi 55-1443] Error(s) while running TCL procedure post_generate()

11:51:58 ERROR    : (XSDB Server)ERROR: [Hsi 55-1450] Error: running generate_bsp.

11:51:58 ERROR    : Failed to closesw "D:/Projects/FPGA/IPMod1/IPMod1.sdk/pmods_bsp/system.mss"

2 answers to this question

I believe I may have found the problem. If I run Vivado and the SDK in Administrator mode, the project gets created fine. This is similar to another issue I ran into on the first Microblaze project wherein the gcc exes don't work unless they are configured to run in Admin mode as well. Apparently, I must have run Vivado and the SDK in Admin mode when creating the first project.

Archived