HS2 suddenly appears as FTDI COM port instead of Digilent device

whasssaaahhh

Question

I'm using a HS2 JTAG probe with Vivado since a few years, working fine. Somehow I had issues with another USB to serial device, therefore in windows device manager I uninstalled that driver, but accidentally also the HS2 device driver. 

After plugging int the HS2 device again, windows started to install a driver for the HS2, but it has made it a regular 'COM' port as before. I was pretty sure in device manager it appeared as 'Digilent' instead of 'COM port'. Also, now in Vivado I see 2 com ports in my serial terminal, while before the digilent adapter did not appear as a COM port (of course).

So I think windows did not select the correct driver - how can I manually re-install or assign the correct HS2 driver? In device manager I can manually select a driver, but I don't know which location on disk to point to ... Is it in some Vivado subfolder or ? 

I've attached some screenshots of the device manager showing which drivers were installed for the HS2. Note that it says 'FTDI', while I believe it said 'Digilent' before. I've also attached VID/PID info.

hs2 - driver3.jpg

hs2 - driver2.jpg

hs2 - driver1.jpg

3 answers to this question

Thanks attila, you saved my day ! I've added a screenshot ot clarify for other users on what to do (Windows 7 64-bit).

Question atilla :

you mention that this driver version has some problems

Q1 : can you tell more about which problems this driver has, as the HS2 seemed to work ok so far (up to Vivado 2015.4)

Q2 : do I use windows driver update, or download the latest version from the FTDI site, or from the Digilent website?

note : I never manually installed a driver for the HS2, I believe Vivado does install 'cable drivers' (for both their Xilinx cable and Digilent cables). So if I understand your remark correctly, these drivers are outdated and have issues.

hs2 - driver - solution.jpg

Hello,

1. Looking at the archive, the driver version 2.12.4 was buggy. 

2. The driver found in Digilent or Xilinx installation is tested for compatibility with our software. The newer driver version found on Windows update or FTDI site usually add support for newer chips and fix issues with newer operating system...

Archived