ATLYS_HDMI_DEMO

Isaac

Question

Hello please I was hoping I could get some help regarding the Atlys HDMI DEMO on the digilent page.

Considering its my first time using XPS and SDK I wanted to be sure I am not doing the wrong things and the output I got is what is intended from this DEMO.

While exporting to SDK I got this error

ERROR:Pack:2811 - Directed packing was unable to obey the user design
   constraints (LOC=P4) which requires the combination of the symbols listed
   below to be packed into a single IOB component.
ERROR:Xflow - Program map returned error code 2. Aborting flow execution...
make: *** [__xps/system_routed] Error 1

Please how do you get past or solve this error ?

My fix at the time was to comment out a line in the UCF . The line i have made bold here.

#  Atlys
Net fpga_0_RS232_Uart_1_RX_pin LOC=A16  |  IOSTANDARD=LVCMOS33;
Net fpga_0_RS232_Uart_1_TX_pin LOC=B16  |  IOSTANDARD=LVCMOS33;
Net fpga_0_Push_Buttons_5Bits_GPIO_IO_I_pin<0> LOC=F5  |  IOSTANDARD=LVCMOS18;
Net fpga_0_Push_Buttons_5Bits_GPIO_IO_I_pin<1> LOC=F6  |  IOSTANDARD=LVCMOS18;
Net fpga_0_Push_Buttons_5Bits_GPIO_IO_I_pin<2> LOC=P3  |  IOSTANDARD=LVCMOS18;
Net fpga_0_Push_Buttons_5Bits_GPIO_IO_I_pin<3> LOC=N4  |  IOSTANDARD=LVCMOS18;
#Net fpga_0_Push_Buttons_5Bits_GPIO_IO_I_pin<4> LOC=P4  |  IOSTANDARD=LVCMOS18;
Net fpga_0_MCB_DDR2_rzq_pin IOSTANDARD = LVCMOS18_JEDEC;
Net fpga_0_MCB_DDR2_zio_pin IOSTANDARD = LVCMOS18_JEDEC;
Net fpga_0_clk_1_sys_clk_pin TNM_NET = sys_clk_pin;
TIMESPEC TS_sys_clk_pin = PERIOD sys_clk_pin 100000 kHz;
Net fpga_0_clk_1_sys_clk_pin LOC=L15  |  IOSTANDARD=LVCMOS33;
Net fpga_0_rst_1_sys_rst_pin TIG;
Net fpga_0_rst_1_sys_rst_pin LOC=T15  |  IOSTANDARD=LVCMOS33;

After exporting to SDK , configuring and programming the FPGA  as well as running as LAUNCH ON HARDWARE. The image below was the output on the monitor.

large.vlcsnap-2016-06-24-20h16m16s31.png

Questions 

1. How do you go past the original error in xps , commenting out the line in the UCF as I did ; is that the right thing to do? Plus what effect does that line have on what was exported to SDK.

2. Is the output image I got the intended image from the DEMO as none of the buttons as stated in the Demo pdf guide had any effect.

Finally is there a step bystep image or video guide for this demo so I know if I have progressed correctly on the demo considering Its the first time I have used XPS and SDK.

Thanks,

Isaac 

22 answers to this question

Hello  Jon ,

The UART was not connecting as the driver needed an update. Its working now. Thank you so much for the help with this demo . I guess now I can go to bed with my eyes closed , mission accomplished. But am really grateful for your helpart1.PNG

Hi Isaac,

Open up you device manager and make sure the uart is connecting as shown below in the second picture it shows under ports(com & lpt) for my computer it is com17. When i disconnect the uart cable ports does not show up in the list as shown in the first picture. When i connect the uart cable again ports is again on the list and looks like the second picture. 

thank you,

Jon

device_manager_2.jpg

device_manager_1.jpg

Hello  Jpeyron ,

I was hoping I could see the the terminal print out the height and width of the frame just like you have there or better still see the actual recorded data. I get an error Connection canceled due to ownership request from org.eclipse.debug.internal.core.LaunchConfiguration. when trying to use the inbuilt terminal so was wondering how you got around it. Will be glad if you can help with this query too.

Hi Isaac,

The lscript.ld is a linker script that tells the program where to assign data, code and heap in memory.   You can look here on how to create your own lscript.Id . I think you are asking for where the test pattern is in code. The test pattern is generated in the hdmi_demo.c with the function Pushbtnhandler. 

thank you,

Jon

Hello  Jpeyron ,

Thanks  I got the same results as you now when I click the button to view test pattern. I guess it was the  lscript.ld file. Please have you got any idea what this file does and why it created the resulted in my initial output? The other question I have is how do you view the contents of the frame buffer like you have here .

atl.jpg

Hello  Jpeyron ,

Thanks for taking out time to run through this. I will try it without the   lscript.ld file  to see if I get what you have. But no the buttons did not work on mine either. I will keep you posted on what I get after a new run through. Thanks a lot.

Hi Isaac,

I was able to get the demo to work fully. I used EDK  and SDK  version 14.7. When i click on the executable for EDK in the Demo it has me upgrade a couple of cores. I then generate a bitstream and export to SDK with the bitstream. The easiest way to stop issues with this process is have the workspace be in the same folder at the project in the Atlys_HDMI_PLB_demo/project. I then went into the sdk program and opened an empty application. Then under the application click to the src folder and add all the files but the lscript.ld file from the source folder in the Atlys_HDMI_PLB_demo folder. Next i go into the Xilinx tools and choose configure jtag setting and change it to digilent usb cable. I then program fpga in the xilinx tools tab. Lastly i right click on the application and click on run as and then launch on hardware(gdb).  Below is a picture of the test pattern and then the Start/Stop recording data into the frame buffer from the input video source. I wasn't able to duplicate you errors but is did have some software stuff to overcome to get the demo fully working. I did get the picture you posted if i included the  lscript.ld file that was in the source folder and the buttons did not work. Let me know if this helps. 

thank you,

Jon

20160822_162200.jpg

HDMI_ESC_1.jpg

HDMI_ESC_2.jpg

20160822_162225.jpg

Archived