Arty, XADC, analog pins, and Vivado block diagram

buckd

Question

Hi,

I am attempting to read a single-ended analog signal on one of ports A0 through A5 using the XADC in the Arty, but I am unable to connect the proper pins in a Vivado block diagram.  Either the bitstream fails, or the C code never reads anything. 

I have a microblaze design that uses the AXI4 interface to the ADC, but still drives the temperature in the MIG and I followed one person's set-up of the XADC mentioned here, in order to still drive the temperature for the MIG7.  I used this guide to do it:

http://adiuvoengineering.com/?p=711

I have read everything I could on the matter in the Arty reference manual, but it doesn't mention how to tie these pins in Vivado in the block diagram:

https://reference.digilentinc.com/reference/programmable-logic/arty/reference-manual

Some things I have tried:

• I have enabled the Channel Sequencer in the XADC wizard and checked likely channels (like Vaux0, etc.).  Doing a 'make external' on these new ports always fails implementation with issues related to improper IOSTANDARD on the bank of ports
  • Manually hooking up the input pins by creating ports, hooking them to the XADC ports (like Vaux0), and using XDC constraints fail to implement with similar errors
  • If I don't do 'make external' on any ports but the Vp_Vn one, then the bitstream generates, but the C code does not read any auxiliary channels.  I have properly enabled all of them in the code and I loop through every channel to see what it registers.  Temperature shows up just fine

Is there a way to properly read the analog pins A0-A5 through the Vivado block diagram?

Thanks!

10 answers to this question

Hi and thanks for responding.

I did look at the XADC demo and I've been attempting to use the same port names and constraints that it uses in its top module.  I still get errors, although I just noticed that the order of the Vaux* ports isn't what I expected for the pins.  Tomorrow I will attempt to use the weird order that the top module uses - e.g. Vaux0 goes to A5 (but then the comments say 'Auxiliary Channel 12'?)  Is there a reason to the Vaux* to pin mapping presented in that demo file?

Thank you!

As a follow-up, I manually routed the ck_an_n/p signals (named in the constraints file in the XADC demo) to the Vaux* ports in my block diagram, using the same out-of-order pin mappings.  I got a new error this time, in synthesis:

[Shape Builder 18-119] Failed to create SYSMON shape for instance design_1_i/xadc_wiz_0/U0/AXI_XADC_CORE_I/XADC_INST. Failed to add instance ck_an_n_IBUF[0]_inst to a new Sysmon shape. The instance already belongs to a shape and its new location conflicts with the one in the existing shape.

Hi jpeyron,

I am using Vivado 2016.2.  So far everything has worked well with the Arty set-up except this one thing.

I did just have some success:  I created ports 'a0n' and 'a0p' and hooked them into the guts of Vaux4 in the XADC wizard block.  I removed all other 'make external connections' except for Vp_Vn.  I then uncommented the appropriate constraints from the Arty_master.xdc (renaming ck_an_n[0] to a0n; ck_an_p[0] to a0p).

I have not tested other pins, but I'm getting good values from the ADC using AUX channel 4 with single-ended voltages hooked into A0 and using the Arty's GND.

I'm not sure if this is the proper way to do it, but so far it's working.

Hi,
I'm sorry I cannot give the full design, but here are some more notes:

• I enabled the vauxp4/vauxn4 under 'channel sequencer' in the XADC wizard block, then created two input ports and manually routed them to it.  I'm sorry I don't remember how I figured out it was Vaux4 that goes to the single-ended A0 input; it may have been trial and error.
  • I enabled the pins according to the .xdc file here (e.g. ck_an_n[0] and ck_an_p[0]):  https://github.com/Digilent/Arty-XADC/blob/master/src/constraints/Arty_Master.xdc#L112 and renamed them to my port names I created above.

I hope this helps.

On 8/17/2016 at 4:27 AM, JColvin said:

Hi buckd,

I have asked some of our applications engineers about this; they'll get back to you here on the Forum.

In the meantime, I know Digilent has an XADC demo for the Arty available on it's resource center, but the available documentation doesn't explain how to adjust the block diagram.

Thanks,
JColvin

hiii..

I have also the same problem for configuring XADC on ARTY board  I am using XADC wizard ..... but I am beginner to IP configuration .... please can you provide me some assistance . how to get ADC output ... using either by MICROBLAZE or XADC wizard

mail id ---- shubhamgwl04@gmail.com 

Archived