start up helo

samuelbear

Question

Hello. I am starting college after 35 years and was given an Analog Circuit kit to help refresh my old electronic skills. I was also given a desktop running linux mate. I have downloaded all the waveform software, but it doesnt work. When I click to start waveforms nothing happens, after 3-5 minutes an error comes up saying there was a crash with 'sigill'. Im not very good with linux and was hoping maybe someone can show me my errors and help me get waveforms running. I only have a few weeks left before classes start. Thank you.

3 answers to this question

Hi samuelbear,

I commend you for choosing to get back into electronics again! Since I presume you are referring to the Digilent WaveForms 2015 software, I have moved this post to the Scopes and Instruments section of the Forum where the engineer best suited to help you can see your question.

As a follow up question though, which edition of Waveforms are you using? The 3.3.7 edition available on our reference site?

Thanks,
JColvin

Hi @samuelbear,

What specific version of Linux Mate are you running?

Disconnect your Analog Discovery, start Waveforms, and leave your Analog Discovery disconnected.  Does Waveforms still crash?

If Waveforms still crashes, ignore the rest of this particular post.

If Waveforms does not crash, try starting Waveforms though the terminal / shell with the "gdb" debugger attached as discussed in:

The signal you're getting, "SIGILL", indicates that software has tried to make your processor execute an illegal instruction (that is, a garbage opcode).  This differs from the symptoms in the other discussion thread, where folks were experiencing a "SIGSEGV" (that is, attempted access to a memory location that can't be accessed).  I speculate that the underlying cause could still be the same, and that the difference between "SIGILL" vs "SIGSEGV" could be caused by a difference in CPU model or revision, processor microcode, or BIOS.

If gdb gives you a stack trace that mentions "elision", try the workaround presented in the other discussion thread.

Please post back & let us know what you find.  Please include the output you get when you run the following command from a terminal / shell:

$ cat /proc/cpuinfo

Chris

Archived