Is 1080p60 full HD video possible with Nexys Video

mwagner

Question

I am working with a spartan 6 design of the ATLYS. Because of the speed of the IOs it is not possible ti run 1080p60 full HD video eben when implementing TMDS manually.

Is that the same with nexys?  Or does ARTIX support hight transmission rates?

In another forum, it was estimated that it should be possible with both FPGA types using GTP ports. Is that true?  Can the IOs support TMDS electronical leven when run this way?

4 answers to this question

On 8/7/2016 at 4:12 PM, hamster said:

Hi!

From the data sheet,OSERDES supports LVDS data rates at up to 1250Gb/s (grades -2 & -3). (Table 15 of http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/data_sheets/ds181_Artix_7_Data_Sheet.pdf).

However, I can confirm that at least my board Nexys Video works fine at 1.475 Gb/s, with a few timing warnings on the IO clocking networks.

Hi hamster,

I just bought the Nexys video board. I built and run your (http://hamsterworks.co.nz/mediawiki/index.php/Artix_7_1080p ) But nothing is shown on my hdmi screen. 

I am using vivado 2015.4

I have added the constrain and everything seems right. But i am not able to get your project working on the board.

Kindly show where i went wrong

On 8/7/2016 at 6:42 AM, hamster said:

I can confirm that at least my board Nexys Video works fine at 1.475 Gb/s

The Nexys Video is a -1 part with maximum LVDS rates <= 950 Mbps ( less than the ATLYS Spartan 6 board ). LVDS is a 2.5V or lower standard and TMDS for HDMI is 3.3V so you'd expect data rates to be higher for lower voltage signalling. For educational purposes and home projects this doesn't mean that you can't achieve data rates at toom temperature above this for any specific design. For commercial projects or professional projects it's wise to observe the AC switching specifications for your part. Data sheet specifications are guaranteed and **tested** performance numbers. You might be lucky and get a device that performs near the point where some of the specs might have made it to the next speed grade but don't count on it.

Saying that a board works fine for out-of spec designs is one thing; hooking up your board running the applicaiotn to professional grade measurement tools and citing actual properly made measurements is another... not that I'm saying that hamster is wrong.

**tested** is something that needs to be researched carefully and probably doesn't mean wht you think it means.

Archived