NEXYS4 Artix-7 board

aditya

Question

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am having NEXYS4 student development board having Artix-7 Xilinx FPGA. I am planning to start a project and requirement is like this...... From mine laptop using wi fi i want to send some bitstream file to Artix-7 Xilinx FPGA in NEXYS Board and later on use this bitstream data to store in to flash.Also additionally i want to use Dynamic partial configuration. Mine doubts are......i) Does this board NEXYS4 support DPR ii) I have been supplied Pmod Wifi module with this board and can communication with mine laptop wifi to Pmod wifi and receive some data in Artix-7 FPGA.

So, IS it  possible to do this i) and ii) with NEXYS4 development board and if it is possible could you please suggest me some useful links.

2 answers to this question

@aditya,

That's quite a challenge you have there.  Some of the pieces are quite doable, others ... will be more difficult.

1. It is possible to write the flash from within a configuration.  See this page, or look at this project which does so.

2. It is also possible to reconfigure the chip from within a configuration as well.  This project shows how you can get access to the FPGA's internal configuration registers.  Set the address in the flash of the new configuration (WBSTAR), and then set the IPROG register appropriately (see the documentation) and off you go.  I've tested this on my Basys board, so I know this one works.  Indeed, I enjoy reprogramming my own Basys-3 board from my laptop using WiFi--only the Basys-3 is connected to my desktop via serial port and I'm not doing any partial reconfiguration.

3. I've heard that it is possible to do partial reconfiguration.  I have no experience doing it, however.  What I do know is that there is a partial reconfiguration development kit which Xilinx sells to certain customers.  Again, I have no experience with it.

4. To my knowledge, Nexys4 does not have any WiFi capability on board.

5. As for the PModWiFi, you might wish to read this discussion.  My understanding from it is that, while the PModWiFi can be used from something other than a PIC, there would be a long reverse engineering task ahead of you in order to be successful.

Let me know if this helps,

Dan

Archived