Use Smartphone MHL(TV-Out) output as ZYBO HDMI INPUT

sina_shiry

Question

Hi every one,

I'm trying to have My Smartphone (Sony Xperia Z2) MHL (TV-OUT) output in ZYBO HDMI input.

When I use my laptop HDMI output (720p), the ZYBO works correctly, But when I connect My Smartphone via MHL(Mobile High-Definition Link) cable, Idon't have any output from VGA port.

I must say that I tested phone MHL output on TV and it worked perfectly (1280*720@60Hz & 1920*1080@30Hz).

Please help me about this problem.

Best regards.

Sina shiri

9 answers to this question

Hello Sina,

That is a bit frustrating that you aren't seeing any output over VGA. I have a few questions to ask you that will help us come to a solution. First, I'd like you to look at the dvi2rgb module in your block design and tell me what the settings are. A screen capture will do as well. If you could also capture the terminal output you get when running the project then we can get some more information regarding the setup and any issues.

I also have some questions about the type of MHL cable you are using. What is the length of the cable and is there any sort of adapter on it? The HDMI input on the Zybo is a bit sensitive and so not all transmitters may work. 

I'll be following this thread, so my eyes will be on it as soon as you have an update and answers to those questions.

AndrewH

Hello again Sina,

Right now there is an issue with the edid in the current version of the dvi2rgb IP core that is present in your project. To correct this you should update the vivado-library from our github which contains version 1.6 of the IP core (You are running version 1.5). Once you've updated the IP core inside your project, there will be a new setting called Preferred Resolution. Set this to 720p and then see if you are able to see any output over VGA with your phone connected to the Zybo via the MHL cable. Let me know how this works for you.

AndrewH

Hi Sina,

I have a few things for you to try to see what is wrong. On the dvi2rgb IP Core is the aPixelClkLckd output. If you have the license for it you can use an ILA IP Core to see if that output at all goes high when you have your smartphone connected to your Zybo via the MHL cable. If you do not have the license for using the ILA IP Core, you can instead connect that output to an LED on the Zybo and see if it is at all blinking when you have your phone connected.

If you could also double check that you have the Preferred Resolution set to 720p in the dvi2rgb core as well, only because you didn't mention selecting that option.

We'll get this sorted,
AndrewH

Hi Sina,

in order to fix those errors that you are seeing, you should add the following into your xdc file. This will help you meet your timing specifications.

create_clock -period 8.334 -waveform {0.000 4.167} [get_ports TMDS_clk_p]

Let me know how that works for you, and update me on your results with the aPixelClkLckd output as well.

AndrewH

Hello, I've been having the same problem with the smartphone. Worst, I added an intermediate filtering block to the original design and now it only works sometimes with my laptop. Sometimes the computer detects the ZYBO, sometimes it tries then it fails (locked goes to 1 then it goes to 0) and sometimes it just does not detect the ZYBO HDMI at all. I believe the locked signal from the dvi2rgb block is always zero. Any guesses? Did you manage to solve this issue?

Thanks

Fernando.

@faescobar85, when you say detected by the computer, do you mean Windows showing a secondary screen called Digilent DVI? Detection should happen over the DDC bus by reading the EDID and has nothing to do with aPixelClkLckd. Only after extending/duplicating the desktop will the video link come up and the dvi2rgb core lock onto it. The latter is the aPixelClkLckd signal. I recommend Vivado hardware debugging on: aPixelClkLckd, PhaseAlign/pAligned, PhaseAlign/pEyeSize, PhaseAlign/pError, ChannelBond/pMeRdy for all three channels.

Archived