New Zybo, Microsd/led Failures

Squirrel

Question

I’m not entirely sure where to put this RMA, but I think the ZYBO board I just received may have a faulty LED (LD3) and a faulty microSD card from the accessories kit.

One thing at a time… first, the LED. I have been having trouble getting u-boot (and subsequently the Digilent Linux distro) to work on the board. In order to make sure that at least the PL portion was being programmed correctly, I made a basic project in Vivado 2014.1 for the xc7z010clg400-1 SoC target. The LEDs are hooked to a constant IP block [3:0] with a constant value “1111”:

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

But the ZYBO response does not have all the LEDs lit as expected:

4.JPG

I'll happily post the synthesis report, although there doesn’t appear to be a ‘smoking gun’ in there.

Back to the SD card; using the same format (FAT32) and files on three different cards (SanDisk, ADATA, and the unbranded one from the accessory kit), only the first two worked.... and they have lower speed grades than the broken one (4 and 6 vs. 10, respectively). Not sure what other evidence I can provide...

4 answers to this question

Hello,

Regarding the LED issue, we wrote a very simple Vivado project that just turns the LD3 ON.

Please program the bit on the PL (FPGA inside Zynq) and see if the LED is ON. 

Please download the file from https://www.dropbox.com/s/lcz6e8xeamg5pcy/SimpleZyboProject.zip?dl=0.

Regarding the SD, we need more details: are you trying to boot busybox or Linux; are you using ext4 partition ?

If the devices (Zybo and card) prove to be defective, we will replace them based on warranty.

cfatu, the project and associated bitstream (Work.bit) worked fine for LD3, I'm not sure if I should now suspect an issue with the Vivado / Xilinx constant block? Interesting result regardless... I'll stick to VHDL.

In re: to the SD card, it looks like I had a 'bad' FAT32 partition alongside the ext4... after a reformat, everything looks good.

This can be marked as solved, thank you for the support! :)

Archived