New ARTY board, project question

joeq

Question

I recently purchased an ARTY board to play around with Vivado.   Found all the project files and tools and believe I have everything setup now.   I started going through the 7A35T_Arty_OOB_GPIO_demo_VIV2015_2 and ran into a snag.  The TCL scripts are looking for Vivado 2015.2.  When I download Viviado, it is version 2016.2.   I attempted to remove the check, but if fails when creating the project files.

Do I need to find and old copy of Vivado to use the demo projects or is there a newer release of the demos that supports the latest tools?  

Thanks

3 answers to this question

Hello,

You should generate the program with the Vivado version it was compiled. If not, Vivado will make an upgrade of the project that may or may not work. 2016 versions of Vivado are not very stable and your design might fail. We had previous problems with Vivado 2016 on projects for Nexys4-DDR or Genesys2. 

Best regards,

Bianca

joeq,

There was an older post where someone was experiencing these issues as well. That guide was created by Avnet and doesn't follow the general design flow as our projects do. I would highly suggest that you take a peak at our Arty Tutorials located on the Arty reference page. There are some great easy to follow step by step guides and we fully support their compatibility. Hope this helps!

Mikel 

A quick note, if you are looking for version independent microblaze tutorials, I would recommend trying the Getting Started with Microblaze and Getting Started with Microblaze Servers tutorials. They should work independent of the version of Vivado you have installed.

Some of the other tutorials on that page are "version locked" too, but we are currently working to resolve this issue.

Archived