Bitstream File Not Found/permissions

FlippedBit

Question

Hello everyone!

I'm new to these forums, so please let me know if I'm posting this question in the wrong place.  

I just received my Basys3 board in the mail today.  Since I'm fairly new to FPGAs, I decided to start off by simply programming the device with the Abacus Demo.  While I've been able to program the device with the demo, I can only do so when I move the bitstream file out of my project directory.  The project is located at C:/Users/Chris/Desktop/GraduateProject/Basys_3_Intro.  When I attempt to program the Basys3 with the bitstream file that is located within a subdirectory of the project, I get the following error: 

ERROR: [Labtools 27-2149] File C:/Users/Chris/Desktop/GraduateProject/Basys_3_Intro/Basys_3_Intro.runs/impl_1/Basys3_Abacus_Top.bit not found. Check file name and file permissions.

However, if I copy the bitstream file to my desktop, so that it's located at C:/Users/Chris/Desktop/Basys3_Abacus_Top.bit, then the file can be accessed and the Basys3 is programmed without any errors.  Any idea what's happening here or what I'm doing wrong?  Thanks!   

1 answer to this question

Ah, the dilemmas with file names :-)

I'm not sure exactly how the error gets caused, but it could be as simple as having a file name that is too long to be directed to. 

Keeping file names shorter than 260 characters is often a safe bet. 

There are issues with other applications (TI's Code Composer Studio or Atmel's AVR STudio). 

I'm glad you got it working though!

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa365247.aspx

Archived