LabView Home and compatible hardware?

crispy

Question

Trying to find information regarding how I can be sure that LabView Home will work with a particular piece of hardware. I might end up with one of NI's USB DAQ devices (like a USB-6000), or a DATAQ DI-149, or a Labjack U3-HV, or anything similar. Does LabView Home require a specific driver to recognize any of these devices? Is there a decent selection of those drivers readily available? I am trying to put together a simple DAQ system that will have RPM measurement up to around 20,000 rpm and two different full bridge strain gauge setups. LabView will would be much nicer than trying to use the software that comes with the Dataq or Labjack devices.

Also - does LabView Home have the same capability that the full LabView has where you can write out an executable to run instead of having to run through LabView itself?

1 answer to this question

Hey crispy,

LabVIEW Home has the same features as LabVIEW Full (see comparison chart here), and includes a 'Home and Student Edition' watermark.  In addition LabVIEW Home is licensed for non-commercial use only.

When considering hardware support you'll need to figure out which toolkits or drivers you may need.  Virtually all NI DAQ devices use the DAQmx driver which is fully compatible with LabVIEW Home and completely free.  For other devices like DATAQ or Labjack you'll have to figure out what drivers they use and if they already have a LabVIEW toolkit available.  The LabVIEW Instrument Driver network is a good place to start looking.

We just released an update to LabVIEW Home in March that added Application Builder to LabVIEW Home (applied retroactively for free to all new and existing LV Home licenses).  This add-on allows you to build stand alone executable that can run without LabVIEW installed on the PC.

FYI: LabVIEW Home is Windows only.

Let us know if you have any other questions about this.

Thanks!

-Kristoff

Archived