On Short Circuit Protection

RHCA

Question

Hello.

I am interested in purchasing the electronics explorer board, however after a not-so-quick google about the board I was unable to find any information about the protection the board offers. I am interested in knowing whether the board has any protection against accidental short-circuits, particularly the waveform generator since

I read that waveform generators are particularly succeptible to getting damaged when short circuited, but also the rest of the components of the board.

Thanks in advance I´ll be waiting for your answers

2 answers to this question

Hi, yes, there is short circuit protection for EE board or Analog Discovery (which is the portable version of EE board). 

You can find that out when you open up the Waveforms --> Device settings --> Overcurrent protection 

The Electronics Explorer is safe for any intentional or accidental internal connections. Interfacing with external supplies or supplied circuits should be used with care and taken in account that the ground of the board is connected to the computer with the USB cable.

The board has the following protections:

- Oscilloscope and Voltmeter inputs have 1MΩ impedance.

- Digital IOs have 220Ω PTC.

- AWG and Reference voltages have 22/220Ω PTC to limit the output current.

- Supplies have voltage and current limitation. Both of these are adjustable for positive and negative supplies.

The earlier mentioned "Overcurrent protection" refers to Analog Discovery USB power limitation.

Archived