Vivado schematic capture

JColvin

Question

A customer on our website asked the following question:

Hi,

I have got a set of Digilent Basys3 and Vivado. I am intending to use the platform to conduct a year 1 undergraduate module on digital system where students learn about digital logic, combinatorial circuits and sequential machine. I notice that Vivado will you to program in VHDL or Verilog, do you know if it can allow you to program using schematic entry? In my course, as students are not exposed to high level programming, I would like them to get started with simple schematic entry using gates and flips-flops before they move onto HDL? If the Vivado does not allow, does your company have other products that allows schematic entry programming? Thank you.

Best regards,

The response is below.

1 answer to this question

Hello,

Xilinx's Vivado Design Suite does not support schematic entry. If you happen to have schematic files from Xilinx's older ISE, you can convert those into HDL code as described in this thread on our technical forum.

Otherwise, the only other product that Digilent sells (but does not make) is the NI Multisim Student Edition, which does support schematic capture and can also export digital logic designs into VHDL. However, as Digilent only re-sells Multisim, we are not able to offer proper technical support for it so any technical questions you have about it would need to be directed to NI's forum. I also want to point out that NI does have some tutorial material available for Multisim here.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Thanks,
JColvin

Archived