Possible to measure simple AC with scope?

JohnBee

Question

10 answers to this question

6 hours ago, attila said:

Hello,

For simple AC and DC measurements you can apply to the Logger tool which uses the Scope inputs.

Hi attila, and thanks for the response. 

For the Logger inputs, are we to use one probe(channel) for the input?
That said, on the measurement side, I'm not seeing simple AC; simple DC, AC RMS and true RMS per channel. Is there a setting or adjustment to view simple AC also?

8 hours ago, attila said:

Hello,

For simple AC and DC measurements you can apply to the Logger tool which uses the Scope inputs.

Just wanted to update to say that I can't seem to get any readings from the Logger tool with Waveform 2015 r3.3.5
ie, 
Connecting probe to ch 1, attaching to 5v DC source returns nothing 
Connecting probe to ch 1 and 2, with 5v source, returns nothing also 

I tried with different  probes just to be sure. Though the results are the same

Another update, and in an attempt to identify the issue(user or otherwise) I downgraded the software increimentally down to 3.1.5 and found that the Logger does show activity on the Meter side with DC, though the readings appear significantly skewed. 

That said, and with this in mind, is it possible that my device is not working properly?
I've had my doubts about the unit since it arrived as it appears to have been erratic in function. Sometimes working, sometimes not without changing settings etc. 

Which leads me to ask if there's a diagnostic tool I could run on the Discovery 2 itself to test it?

The "simple AC" is the AC RMS.

It is very unlikely to be a problem with the device since these are thoroughly tested during the factory calibrations process.
Make sure to have common ground between your voltage source and device. In case you are using the BNC adapter make sure to have the jumper on DC coupling.

Thanks for the response. 

As it turns out, I discovered that my BNC adapter was the culprit. I removed it and everything came to life (as intended). Though I'm still not sure what is causing the anomalies at the moment. Though the moment I remove the module, everything displays as it should(voltage, waveforms etc). And so I guess this is good news in that I don't have to send in my unit for repair. 

Actually I was trying to use the 1 and 2 + /- off the BNC module. which was messing-up my readings. - Lesson learned.

PS. it might be helpful to add a note in the BNC module to highlight the pin-out changes. Not sure if it's indicated in the overview etc. but I missed this, and it cost me alot of time and effort in trying to get things setup properly. 

Hi JohnBee, 

Are you referring to the scope inputs being differential on the discovery and the bnc adapter routing the -ve input to gnd? 

I'm thinking of making a differential version of the bnc adapter. If it works I'll leave a link to osh park so that others can build their own.

Archived