Analog Discovery 1: Repair or replace?

qriusGate

Question

I was using my analog discovery, but suddenly it no longer wants to communicate with my computer. I am assuming that the warranty is void, but I was wondering what options I have.

Are there buy-back programs available? Does Digilent offer repair services for the Analog Discovery? Is it worth it to upgrade to the Analog Discovery 2?

Thanks,

Best wishes,

- George Aguirre

7 answers to this question

Hi George,

I've moved your question to a more appropriate section of the forum.

I'm bummed to hear that your Analog Discovery isn't working for you at the moment. I presume the ideal situation for you at the moment would be to see if we can get your Analog Discovery up and running again. Is it no longer being recognized by your OS (which OS do you have) or is it just not being recognized by WaveForms? What edition of WaveForms do you have?

Thanks,
JColvin

Hi George,

In addition to what James said, please take a look at this thread on the forum, to help you troubleshot the device. 

If you can't get it to start working, please Open device manager, extend universal serial bus controllers and then connect your device to the computer. Please tell us how does the device appear. Also as James said, what OS are you using?

Best regards,

Bianca

I've a similar issue on win7 64bit pro. The unit was working fine and then all of a sudden stopped. It shows up as a USB Serial Converter in the device manager.

I think its a driver issue, I use other FTDI usb to serial leads on the same machine.

When I plug my discovery into another machine running win 7 64bit pro is fires up and behaves as normal.

usbSerialConverter.JPG

EDIT: I crawled around the back and plugged into an unused port, It's functioning but I need a usb extender/hub. 

I just plugged it back into the original port and now it's working again.... Weird.

Sorry for not responding readily. I accidentally set it to not notify me upon response, and its been a while since I last pulled it back out. After pulling it back out, I found (to my horror) that I had left the USB plug in and the MicroUSB connection had been pulled off. Normally I'd be worried that this removed the contacts, but magically it appears that these are still connected, considering I was able to solder a new connector on and have the solder flow onto the contacts properly. It worked for a bit, but failed to connect about 30 minutes later.

The computer recognizes that something is there in Windows, but it gives an error for "Unknown USB Device: Device Descriptor Request Failed", which I'm guessing means that the USB connection to the FTDI chip is not connecting as well as I'd like. Since it was working after the solder-job I think the solder was fine. Looking at the FTDI connections it doesn't appear as though I damaged them at all. (Although I did manage to kill the LED by attempting to power the unit with a power supply, and I tried to see if the LED worked without lowering the current limit from 500 mA, and I fried the LED. Replaced it, so that should be fine, but still giving the same error).

Hi @qriusGate,

The error "Unknown USB Device: Device Descriptor Request Failed" means that is unable to read the device descriptor. This means that the USB is broken. Unfortunately we do not do repairs anymore so in this case I would suggest to look into the Analog Discovery 2 here or the Digital Discovery here based on your needs.

cheers,

Jon

The descriptor request failure could indicate the connection problem of some USB wires or USB controller damage.

The LED on AD is connected to a digital pin which lights up only after the device is connected with a software.
In case the LED was damaged by your custom supplying attempt it is most likely that other ICs on the board got also damaged.

Archived