Explorer Board system monitor

brmarcum

Question

When I open Waveforms 2015 and connect the AD1 or AD2, I can click on the status button on the bottom of the main window and it will pop up a system monitor that allows a quick view of the USB voltage and the total current draw from the device. If I attach a separate AUX 5V power supply to the AD2 (awesome feature!), it will display AUX voltage and AUX current. I tested it with a high W resistor and easily pulled 1100mA with no issues and was able to observe that value through the system monitor (see image "AD2").

My question is why doesn't this feature work for the Explorer Board (see image "EE")? At first I thought it might be related to the power running exclusively through the USB with the AD1/AD2, which is why I tested it with the AUX power supply on the AD2. Since that worked, my only thought is that the hardware and/or software on the Explorer Board doesn't allow that type of data to be returned to the system monitor. If it is software, is it possible to add this feature? All it tells me right now is that my board is on/off, which I can see from the bright green "ready" LED on the board itself, so that doesn't help me much. I realize there are multiple ways that I could either use external tools, or even utilize the tools on the EE board to figure this out, but it would be nice to just be able to see total system voltage/current at a quick glance.

Thank you.

AD2.png

EE.png

1 answer to this question

Hello,

The difference is between the devices.

The Analog Discovery has power monitor on USB and AD2 has an additional one on the AUX supply.
The EExplorer does not have such power monitor, but it has voltage and current measurement on each supply output.

Archived