CMod-A7 doesn't boot SDK code.

RichardV

Question

Hello, I need the help of a Digilent Engineer with CMod-A7 experience (Artix 7).

I'm trying to find out if it's even POSSIBLE to run an SDK application from bootup on the CMod-A7. I'm able to load the HDL code, but NOT the SDK application I really need. I'm starting to doubt it's even possible to do this. Someone please just tell me Yes/No if this is true or not?

I tried following this tutorial using another Arix 7 device: https://digilent.com/reference/learn/programmable-logic/tutorials/htsspisf/start

The problem with this tutorial is that the CMod-A7 doen'st have memory configuration jumpers, so it's not possible to follow this tutorial exactly the same way.

I have searched everywhere I can think of for ANYbody that's been able to even get the simple Hello_World code to work upon boot-up. If  you know I'm wrong about this, then please provide the links that proves so? I'd be very grateful for a demonstration on this.

It seems that the CMod-A7 is totally unable to run SDK applications without being TETHERED to a computer to program it every time it's powered up. I'm trying to sever that tether to my computer. 

Thank you, Richard V

Edited by RichardV

2 answers to this question

Hello. I think I figured it out! I had help from BYTEMAN on this forum. Here is an early draft of my procedure. User beware that it may have mistakes. 

It think "time delays" are needed in the User App when booting from QSPI flash. The code I altered comes from the GPIO example in the BSP. This only works for Vivado 2019.1 and earlier. I haven't figured out how do to this with Vitis yet.

Richard V

How To Store Your SDK Project in SPI Flash using the CMod_A7.pdf

Edited by RichardV
I replaced my uploaded file to correct my references and add a misssing step.

Hi Richard, I am having trouble getting this to work using your directions.  When I worked with an Arty board, I figured this out and it would boot my SDK code from qspi flash.

Now I'm using a CMOD A7 and my simple microblaze program works when tethered, but I can not get it to boot from qspi flash.  Why do you first create the project with AXI Quad Standard mode, and then later constrain it to SPIx4?  I have been going in circles with Vivado constantly telling me files are out of date and not finding .h files until I do a "clean".  Maybe it is time to dump the CMOD and just use an Arduino for this project.  I wish Digilent would describe a bootload procedure for the CMod-A7 that works.  Too many differences from the example they show (example also uses DDR and MIG) which CMOD doesn't have.  As far as the time delay, how can the SDK code run before the device configures?  It has to configure in order to run the bootloader.

Thanks