ADP3450 shows gibberish in Waveforms and can't be updated

Fortune

Question

Hey digilent community, 

I've been using the ADP3450 for a while, the device experienced unexpected power down and Waveforms starting to show gibberish... please check the pictures here:

https://ibb.co/K2h1cyP

https://ibb.co/Cv3Q4dV

I also tried to update the firmware via waveforms, however, error occurs...   Anything I can do to fix this? or make the device back to original state? 

Thx

DT

7 answers to this question

Hi @Fortune

It looks like the data read from the flash is corrupt (SN, name...) and reprogramming fails at verification...

Do you happen to know how did it get it to this state ?
Have you eventually used the "Linux USB Recovery" and accidentally overwrite or set flash fuses ?

Try to reset the device by removing and reconnecting the power supply after a few seconds.

To see the boot log please connect with a terminal app to the ADP and press "Apply & Reboot" in WaveForms/ Device Manager/ Boot

image.png.14255e88da23ba22221d8eb03d8e44e3.png

Hi @attila,

Thanks for the reply!

I believe myself and my friend switched ADP between Linux Mode and PC slave mode for quite a lot times(including update to the latest Linux Firmware that Digilent provided), unexpected power down might be the reason for this issue?

I switched off the power supply and then connect back after several minutes according to your instructions, I clicked the boot option in Waveforms in order to recover the device, however, it failed, when I clicked the boot option again, it automatically select the last option which is "other 0x49", I clicked "Apply & Reboot", however, there is nothing in the terminal this time...

Now, it seems that Waveforms can totally NOT detect the ADP... 

Is there anything we can do to recover the corrupted target?

Thx

DT

Hi @Fortune

The Linux USB update reprograms the eMMC and it should not write in the QSPI flash where the boot, standard firmware and IDs are.
The firmware update from the WF app should only update the needed sections in the flash.

Does the front LED blink once or continuously when you power it on ?
Is device detected by the WF app ?

Make sure the terminal app is connected since on power cycle this also gets reset.

As a last resort the device could be reprogrammed with JTAG cable. Do you have such ?

For warranty and replacement see the following: https://digilent.com/shop/shipping-returns/#return-policy 

Hi @attila

Thanks for the directions.

The LED blink once when powered on. The device either detected by Waveforms with gibberish or sometimes not detected at all... 

I can borrow a JTAG programming cable from my friends, please kindly advise the required cable name(Xilinx or Digilent?) and could you please kindly teach me how to reprogram with JTAG cable?

If the last resort doesn't work, I hope I can get a replacement...

Thx in advance!

DT

On 1/10/2022 at 3:45 PM, attila said:

Hi @Fortune

Given this erratic behavior and the earlier "verification failed" message I don't think JTAG reprogramming will succeed or help.
Please go for replacement.

Thanks @attila for the professional support!  Can we just give it a last shot on the reprogramming before I go for the replacement? 

I hope miracle happens or maybe it just works...

Thanks and look forward to your directions!

DT