Control of the duty cycle of a signal generated by a CMOD A7 via pc host

Fab1612

Question

Hi everyone,
I am new to FPGAs and for a project, I need to use a CMOD A7 board to generate a PWM signal with a user-defined duty cycle. I can easily realize this function for a given duty cycle via a verilog code. However, as soon as I have to change the duty cycle, I have to restart the whole configuration of the board.
In order to make the application more reactive, I would like the card to adapt itself according to a duty cycle sent by the user via a terminal on a PC host and a USB connection.
I saw that it was possible to use the IP microblaze to send the sentence "Hello World!" on the terminal of the PC but I have difficulties to find concrete information or examples to make the FPGA board really control via the host computer.

Do you know if what I'm trying to do is really possible and if so, do you have any clues to give me.
Thanks in advance

1 answer to this question

Hi @Fab1612,

Yes, this is possible to do. I don't think we have anything specifically using Microblaze, but have a couple of Zynq based designs that take inputs from UART/serial from the host computer and control something on the FPGA end of things, both here and here, which use the xuartps library. There is an equivalent AXI based library (xuartlite) for non-zynq based designs that will do the same thing. Xilinx has an example of using it in polled mode here.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
JColvin