Sending Usb D+ D- signals to Zedboard

lafe

Question

Hi everyone!

There is my problem…

I intervene to the communication of a usb device with the host. I use a commercial chip for this purpose.

(Here is the link if anyone is interested to it… https://friedcircuits.us/tools/50 )

I take the D+ and D- signals and I need to get them to zedboard in bits form.

I just want to get the data, send them to the zedboard and don’t response back.

I thought that I could use a ulpi chip. What do you think?

Does anyone ever did something like that?

Can you provide some info?

Maybe suggest a chip that could help me…

Any ideas are welcome!

1 answer to this question

I guess the answer is ... it depends.  Are you interested in USB3.0, USB2.0, or USB1.1?

Let's assume for the moment that you are interested in USB3.0 with a 5GHz clock.  (I think it's actually 5.12GHz ...)

I can see a couple of basic approaches.  The first is to try to capture the signal with a 1-2 bit A/D converter running at over 10GHz and asynchronous to your design.  Find a chip that can do this, and then ingest into your design at the clock rate you wish to use ... I don't have suggestions regarding what would make this work, but it could be made to work.

Another approach would be to try to synchronize with the USB data.  This would allow you to drop your requirement to 1-bits at 5GHz.  This would get you closer to the rate you can ingest.  The easiest way to do this would be to add a USB processing chip (PHY) to your design.  I'm not sure, however, if this is within your requirement set ... are you trying to debug a non-functioning USB port?  If so, adding a PHY won't reveal why the port isn't working.

I suppose a third approach might be to limit the USB speed to something much lower, say USB 2.0 speeds (480Mbps).  Here you might manage to use a series-7 ISERDES capability within your chip to bring in the data at a reasonable clock rate.

If you drop even slower, say to USB 1.1 speeds, you can find a USB 1.1 PHY in VHDL here.  That might give you some ideas as to where you might go for higher speeds.

Hope this helps.  If not, please help me fill in the gaps: do you want a PHY, or a simple recorder/analyzer?  What USB speeds are acceptable?  etc.

Dan

Archived