Analog Discovery 2 not recognized by the computer (windows 10)

johannsi99

Question

I have some problems getting started with the ad2 board. When i plug it into my laptop it doesn't get recognized. In fact, the computer doesn't even realize that a usb device is plugged in. It is also not found in the device-manager. When i open the waveform software it shows "no device detected". 
I have tried switching usb cables, different usb-ports, restarting the laptop, different laptops and changing the usb settings.
What else can i do?
I also want to mention, that the board was succesfully used by someone else before.

Thanks!

Johannes

8 answers to this question

Hi @johannsi99,

I apologize for missing this thread.

You've tried everything that I would have recommended, indicating to me that the board has a manufacturing defect.

I would recommend that you submit an RMA request to the Sales team via the Sales and Order Support form available here: https://digilent.com/shop/shipping-returns/#return-policy with the original posting date for when you started up the support conversation; you'll be able to show that you've worked with me on the Forum by linking this same thread. To be clear, I don't have control over whether or not the RMA is granted, I can only recommend that it should be replaced.

Thanks,
JColvin

I am having similar problem on my Windows 10 laptop. See attached screenshots. The AD2 is being detected as 'USB Serial Port (COM5)' but WaveForms reports 'No device detected'. I click 'OK' and 'Device Manager' pops up. I click on 'My device is not listed' then select 'Find Devices' and WaveForms reports 'FTDI library loading failed Reinstall driver or Adept Runtime software.' I did an uninstall then install but problem persists. I did this several times. I disabled virtualization in the BIOS and disabled Hyper-V under Windows Features (based on comments from other posts) then uninstalled and installed but problem persists.

I have another laptop running Windows 7. WaveForms detects the AD2 with no problems. All WaveForms functions work with no problems. That tells me that my USB cable to the AD2 is good and the AD2 hardware is good.

See attached screenshots from my Windows 10 laptop.

The system information for both my Windows 10 and Windows 7 laptops is also attached.

Detected on USB COM5.JPG

Divice Fix - Find Devices.JPG

Startup.JPG

Detected on USB COM5 #2.JPG

system-information-dell-5577 (windows 10).txt system-information-dell-1340 (windows 7).txt

Learned a few more things today about getting the AD2 connected to my Windows 10 64-bit laptop.

I uninstalled 3.18.1 (digilent.waveforms_v3.18.1_64bit.exe) and installed 3.18.18 beta (digilent.waveforms_beta_v3.18.18_64bit.exe).

No change in results. Device still not detected.

When the AD2 is connected to the USB port, it becomes associated with both, 1) 'USB Serial Port (COM5)', 2) 'USB Serial Converter'. The 'usbview' utility I downloaded via the FTDI website indicates that AD2 is connected to the 'USB Serial Converter'.

I will try the installing the 32-bit WaveForms today.

USB Serial Converter.JPG

USB Serial Converter #2.JPG

The 32-bit version (digilent.waveforms_v3.18.1_32bit.exe)  successfully detected the AD2.

It is some sort of device detection timing issue. I noticed that I had the AD2 plugged into a USB port during the 32-bit install. The final step in completing the install asks if you want to run the application. This time I let the installer run the application. The AD2 was detected immediately.

Hmm...

Should the AD2 be plugged in before starting WaveForms?

I shutdown the 32-bit version. Unplugged the AD2. Started WaveForms. AD2 not detected. Plugged in the AD2. Still not detected. Hit  'Retry' on the pop-up 6 to 10 times. AD2 finally detected. Shutdown WaveForms. AD2 still plugged in. Started WaveForms. AD2 detected immediately.

I uninstalled the 32-bit version then installed the 64-bit version.

The startup behavior of the 64-bit version was the same as the 32-bit version.

So...

For me and my computing environment, it appears that before I start WaveForms, I should have the AD2 plugged into a USB port. If I miss that step, I should just hit the 'Retry' button on the 'No device detected' pop-up repeatedly until the AD2 is detected.

Let me just say first off that this is incredibly (INCREDIBLY) frustrating and driver support has been an absolute nightmare for many, many of these embedded products (programmers, serial busses, etc).  This is the approach that worked for me:

1.  Find your digilent device in device manager.  It will NOT be listed as a serial converter, but rather as a COM port, or a libusbk device, or a winlib32-usb device.

2.  Right click -> Hit update driver.

3.  Hit browse my computer.

4.  At the bottom is an option for "let me pick from an available list"

5.  Choose Serial Converter.  I selected the latest rev.

6.  The device should now be listed as a serial converter / available for waveforms.  No amount of uninstalling / reinstalling fixed this on it's own.

A bit more context:

One of my other projects had me working with FTDI drivers for adafruit's usb to spi board (feather_ft232H board).  I had to do a LOT of messing around with drivers to get that to work, and I believe they use the same chip as this board (the vendor and product ID looked similar...)

The issue being that you all of adafruit's drivers need libusbk for the ftdi interface, but using the same drivers for this device in the digilent context doesn't work.

I hope and pray that updating the driver on this board doesn't undo the work trying to get the adafruit board going.

Edited by bathmarm0t