Virtual bench 8034

Kirsan

Question

Good afternoon. I own a virtual bench 8034. And recently I bought Analog Discovery 2. I really liked the WaveForms software. And I noticed that there is support for virtual bench. I was pleasantly surprised. However, as far as I understand, virtual bench support is a nice bonus and not the main goal of your software. But still. I noticed that not all settings work correctly. So far, only talking about the oscilloscope function. Screenshots I am attaching.

The problem is that your software sets the impedance to 50 Ohm for some reason. And it does not allow switching the input to 1MΩ. Therefore, any input signal is clipped by the cut. I checked several times, there is no error. Your software version is 3.17.14 64 bit. Perhaps you can fix this? Your software is much better than the standard virtual bench software. And I would like to continue to use only your software.

bench_2021-11-22 150318.png

bench_ 2021-11-22 150408.png

bench_2021-11-22 150907.png

bench_2021-11-22 150935.png

6 answers to this question

Hi @Kirsan,

The WaveForms software does not support the VirtualBench in general as far as I understand. We do have support for Digilent's Analog Discovery Pro ADP5250 which, as you probably noted, is a rebranded version of the NI Virtualbench 8012, but does not have any support for other variants of the Virtualbench, nor does it directly support the NI VB-8012 as I understand.

@attila please correct me if I have any of these details wrong.

Thanks,
JColvin

Hi @JColvin, @attila

As far as I understand, virtual bench 8012 and Digilent's Analog Discovery Pro ADP5250 are one and the same. Details and nuances are unknown to me.

However, in fact, I see that your software detects my version of the virtual bench (8034). 8012 from 8034 is not very different.
So it is expected that everything works very well with it, except that your software sets the input impedance of the oscilloscope's analog channel to 50 Ohm and does not allow you to change it.

From my point of view, you just need to add a few commands to your software to send them to the virtual bench and push 1MOhm instead of 50Ohm. It's not hard to do.

However, I understand that the virtual bench is probably some kind of internal competitor of Digilent's Analog Discovery Pro ADP5250. And in fact, the virtual bench should not be supported by your software. Marketing and all that. I can understand that.

But since there is such compatibility, why not support it. Let it be secret, but still. Your software is better than the standard software virtual bench. Everything is better implemented.

In my opinion, this kind of support would be helpful.
However, the final decision is of course yours.

Edited by Kirsan

Hi @attila

Thanks a lot. Indeed, in the new version of the software, the impedance works correctly. I am ready to help you in testing software paired with virtual bench 8034. I would be very happy to provide you with such help. Here is my mail: iutin.yan@gmail.com .

I also noticed that visually the oscilloscope signal is shifted relative to the trigger. If you change the time base, then visually the signal is shifted in different ways relative to the trigger. I think this is related to the sample rate, since your software and standard software show it differently, and therefore interpret the data somewhat differently. Of course, the sample rate can be specified manually, which is very good. If one day you fix this in future releases, it will be great. Well, if not, then no. In any case, I will be glad to help you debug software paired with a bench.

1_2021-11-23 154141.png

2_2021-11-23 154214.png

3_2021-11-23 154257.png

4_2021-11-23 154327.png

time_shift.7z