JTAG-HS3 pinout confusion in manual - which is right?

ksanner

Question

The JTAG-HS3 reference manual, https://digilent.com/reference/programmers/jtag-hs3/reference-manual,  gives a diagram for the connector pinout for the JTAG-HS3 looking out of the connector and the Xilinx board header looking into the connector. Normally, I would see a diagram that is either looking right at the connector, so the pins or sockets match what is in front of my face when I am connecting a test cable like I am, OR I would get a reverse image of the header that looks into the BACK of the header that shows where to solder or crimp a wire.  In this case, both images in the manual are the same image.  Figure 3 is looking out of the connector - but I am looking at the connector - is this an image of the BACK of the JTAG-HS3 looking THROUGH it and into the space beyond it?? This is just really abnormal if so, and I do not want to assume what this means. Does anyone know for sure?

image.png.bd5830f4da9c96eed2b653eccee492be.png

3 answers to this question

Hi @Rich E,

The images in Figure 3 and Figure 4 are correct. Figure 3, as noted directly on the page, is seen looking out of the connector (from USB end down towards the 2x14 connector), Figure 4 is looking into the Xilinx system board header.

The main source of confusion with the pinout diagrams is the orientation since the two ports are either male or female (depending on your perspective since the Xilinx header has the male pins, but the JTAG HS3 plugs into the Xilnx header, but I digress). Your image looks at the JTAG HS3 head on, which naturally is flipped on the axis.

But I can see the value of the showing the headers from the same perspective since the numbering of the pins should hopefully make it clear that pin 1 on one image will indeed line up with the pin 1 on the other image despite being on the opposite end of the axis. I'll put in a request for this image and others like it to be updated to a consistent look.

Thanks,
JColvin

Hi @ksanner,

You are correct in your presumption that you are effectively looking down the JTAG HS3 from the microUSB end towards the 2x7 header end, and then with the Xilinx system board header beyond that. The goal with these choices in the figure 3 and 4 orientations was so that users did not have to do any mental gymnastics flipping an image around to see whether or not the headers lined up.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
JColvin

@JColvin

...you are effectively looking down the JTAG HS3 from the microUSB end towards the 2x7 header end...

...users did not have to do any mental gymnastics flipping an image around to see whether or not the headers lined up...

1920343437_DigilentJTAG-HS3Mark-up.png.f92cc287bc64e754e70eaa3b382c3369.png

Figures 3 and Figure 4 are mutually exclusive - without the provision in your last post the datasheet IS FLAT OUT WRONG.  With the image I've attached, the Molex part indicates pin1 which matches Figure 4 with the correction I've noted.  I'm an electrical guy and it is wrong.  If were one to wire to Figure 3, it would not work.  Isn't the above image how normal mechanical guys would view Figure 3?