Pmod wifi module failed to scan wifi

pulkit

Question

Hi ,

I am trying to interface Pmod wifi module with FPGA since 30 days but it is not responding. Today i tried to simply scan wifi using pmod wifi module. It again failed. Below is the error:

Connected to COM3 at 9600
Wifi Scan 3.0

Scan Failed

Status value: 268443650

End of Demo

I am attaching vivado design and sdk design screen shots.

Please help to find out if i am doing anything wrong with the IPs.

Does digilent's pmod wifi module really work with the IPs provided ?

Thank you.

vivado design.jpg

sdk_screen.jpg

7 answers to this question

Hi JColvin,

Thanks for your reply on my question.

I want to know that can i use this digilent PMOD wifi module to get internet access by making it a TCP IP client?

My purpose is to access internet using this pmod wifi module and FPGA. Is this module a right choice for the mentioned purpose ?

Please guide me.

Thank you.

Pulkit

Hi @pulkit,

I'm not certain which version of Vivado you are using, but I tested using the Arty A7 and the Pmod WiFi on Vivado/SDK 2018.2 and got the WiFi scan to work on the very first try.

My block design looks different than yours; I followed the design guide outlined here: https://digilent.com/reference/programmable-logic/guides/getting-started-with-ipi. It is for a much newer version of Vivado, but the design flow principles are still the same. I did make sure to supply a 200 MHz clock to the Pmod WiFi IP as recommended here: https://digilent.com/reference/programmable-logic/guides/pmod-requirements.

Otherwise to answer your question, yes you could access the internet with this Pmod WiFi module and FPGA.

As for the ease of use aspect on the accessing the internet, this will not be like running a Raspberry Pi where you have an OS and a desktop to look at. The existing demos that we have will let you do some TCP or UDP communication (as well as the WiFi scan and HTTP server), though if you wanted to run the HTTP server you would need to provide an SD card with the local html file to "serve" up on the network you choose to connect to so that other devices can access it. Going to a hosted website and collecting data from it is possible (that's what is done on the HTTP Server), but not easy to set up. I'm not sure what you are envisioning when you say "access the internet".

Thanks,
JColvin

Thanks for your prompt  reply Colvin.

In our design we don't want to use SD card .

So, our setup is like we have a PC connected to an fpga board with ethernet cable. Pmod wifi module is also connected to the same fpga board. 

We want to send some data  (in internet packet format) to fpga  through  ethernet port. Fpga will collect that data and will route it to pmod wifi module which is already connected to wifi router. 

So suppose we open Google Chrome on connected PC and try to open digilent website. That query will be forwarded to fpga on the connected ethernet port. Fpga will capture that data and forward it to pmod wifi. Wifi module is connected to wifi router. So it will fire our query on internet to access digilent website. In the same fashion, when digilent website respond to our query we will get data from wifi router -> wifi module -> fpga -> ethernet port -> PC.

This our project that we want to implement using pmod wifi module.

Is this possible ?

Please let us know as soon as possible .

Thanks 

Regards

Pulkit

Hi colvin 

In our design we did  wifi scanning and we successfully scan all the wifi in our surrounding . but when we trying to build a connection with our wifi router using tcp/ip echo either client or server  then it give this error .

TCP Echo Server Connecting...

Unable to make connection, status: 0x10003900

Closing connection

0 sockets listening on port: 44300

So,  can you provide some  guidance how we resolve this problem connect wifi successfully .

Please let me know .

Thanks

Regards

Pulkit 

Hi JColvin,

We have successfully scanned 12 wifi signals using pmod wifi module and WIFIScan example in sdk 2.16.4 vivado version.

Now we want to connect to a wifi router with below information:

----------------------------------- scanned wifi info Start -------------------------------------------------------------

Scan info for index: 10

SSID: my_wifi

BSSID / MAC: xxxxx

Channel: 11

Signal Strength: 85

Infrastructure Network

Beacon Period: 100

dtimPeriod: 1

atimWindow: 0

Security info: WPA2  WPA  Preamble  Privacy  Reserved  Reserved  Reserved  IE

0         1            1               1              0               0               0          0

Count of support bit rates: 8

Supported Rate: 1000 kbps

Supported Rate: 2000 kbps

Supported Rate: 5500 kbps

Supported Rate: 11000 kbps

Supported Rate: 18000 kbps

Supported Rate: 24000 kbps

Supported Rate: 36000 kbps

Supported Rate: 54000 kbps

-------------------------------------------Scanned info end ----------------------------------------------------------------------

--> We are using TCPEchoClient example to connect with the above mentioned wifi router. But when we are implementing sdk project we are getting error:

------------------------------------------- Error start----------------------------------------------------------------------

WiFiTCPEchoClient 3.0

Connecting to network...

Unable to connect, status: 268450048

Closing TcpClient, Done with sketch.

-------------------------------------------- Error end ---------------------------------------------------------------------

--> We are providing proper szSsid and szPassPhrase but still not able to connect.

--> please guide us how to connect. Is this issue is related to type of security in wifi router or something else? Please help us.. we are really in trouble.

--> Attaching the c++ file using from PmodWifi example.

Regards

Pulkit

Screenshot_6.jpg

TCPEchoClient.cpp

Edited by pulkit

Hi @pulkit,

It depends on the type of router security that you are using if you are able to connect with just the SSID and Passphrase. By default, the Pmod WiFi is presuming that a WPA2_Passphrase is being used, but if you are on a PEAP network that has an SSID, a specific identity you log in with as a user, and a passphrase, I don't believe the WiFi stack that we have the Pmod WiFi would be able to connect to that sort of network.

Additionally, the WiFi TCPEchoClient example will only work if there is a corresponding TCP EchoServer to connect to on the other side that is expecting to get a connection and data; reflected by the IP address and port server number the demo asks you to provide above the szSsid and szPassPhrase parameters.

Thanks,
JColivn