Does BASYS3 board support HDMI interface indirectly?

HomaGOD

Question

6 answers to this question

5 hours ago, D@n said:

HDMI tends to require more pins than a typical PMod can support.  That said, have you looked at this PMod?  It's not Digilent, but it does look like it might have some promise.

Dan

The following device(the upper figure) requires two 12 pins of Pmod, which Basys3 supports. 

The exact link relation can be like the lower figure. I don't know where I understand it wrong.

Thanks for your reply, wish your answers.

pmod-hdmi_1024x1024.jpg

img_2535.jpg

Edited by HomaGOD

Hi @HomaGOD,

I'm not really able to comment if this Pmod will work with the Basys 3. Yes, it is physically compatible with the Basys 3 and the verilog code on their GitHub, https://github.com/scanlime/icebreaker-video-stuff, will be able to run on the Basys 3 (you'll need to adjust the pin constraints of course), but I don't know how the hardware capabilities of the iCEBreaker FPGA compare with the Basys 3. It seems like the iCEBreaker FPGA has 33 ohm series resistors on their Pmod lines whereas the Basys 3 has 200 ohm resistors on it's Pmod ports so you would lose some speed there, but maybe it would still work. I haven't done the research comparing the FPGA IO switching characteristics nor have the hardware to test this.

Thanks,
JColvin

16 hours ago, JColvin said:

Hi @HomaGOD,

I'm not really able to comment if this Pmod will work with the Basys 3. Yes, it is physically compatible with the Basys 3 and the verilog code on their GitHub, https://github.com/scanlime/icebreaker-video-stuff, will be able to run on the Basys 3 (you'll need to adjust the pin constraints of course), but I don't know how the hardware capabilities of the iCEBreaker FPGA compare with the Basys 3. It seems like the iCEBreaker FPGA has 33 ohm series resistors on their Pmod lines whereas the Basys 3 has 200 ohm resistors on it's Pmod ports so you would lose some speed there, but maybe it would still work. I haven't done the research comparing the FPGA IO switching characteristics nor have the hardware to test this.

Thanks,
JColvin

Thanks for your detailed reply, which solves my numerous questions.

I have another problem. Is there any reference resources of PmodAMP2 related to PWM-style audio signal processing? 

Wish your reply.

Thanks,

HomaGOD

AFAIK the 2 PMOD Ports in the middle, named B and C are supposed as having no series resistor againts the pins, and also named "fast outs". The ARTIX can be condigured to drive TMDS for some Pins but am not sure if THESE (connected to the PMODs) can do so. Generally HDMI requires an appropriate signaling possibly withput such R2.54 Pin Jacks which cause reflections.

I am currently going with the VGA which can do an acceptable 1920x1080 too for my purposes.

The PMOD HDMI interface is out of stock. Would it be possible to use USB to HDMI adapters for capture and output and interface them to PMOD USB adapters that connect to the Baysys3 board? Seems like hardware would work, but is there enough information about the USB software protocol?