Zybo Z7 - New users nightmares

Guru Tim

Question

Hello,

I have just recieved my new board and jumped into the example tutorials using Vivado (2 hours to install) only to find when you get to launching the SDK that is is no longer there.

Now you need Vitis (3 more hours install) but I am not finding much support in how to develop for a beginner.

Can anyone point me to reasonable guides that are specific to the Zybo Z7?

Thanks

2 answers to this question

I have some very up-to-date guides that target both SDK and Vitis, and specifically target the Zybo-Z7-20 and -10 (ZedBoard support files also included):

https://github.com/der-mur/book1-zynq-intro

The guides can be found in the step-by-step folder. There is also a TCL flow that you can follow if you do not want to build the related FPGA design in Vivado.

Hi,

Make sure to check your board's Resource Center, there you can find links to all sorts of tutorials and example projects. Also I strongly suggest to at least skim through its Reference Manual for a very detailed description of your hardware.

The Zybo Z7 HDMI Demo should run you through both Vivado and Vitis and you only need an HDMI cable and a monitor to get it working. Don't miss the "Using the Latest Release" drop down on the demo page which has more detailed descriptions with screenshots for Vitis.

When starting a new Vitis Application, what I do is Generate Bitstream in Vivado, export hardware (make sure the Include Bitstream is checked) to anywhere on your pc. Create a new folder and then open Vitis while choosing that folder as my workspace. Then once Vitis finishes opening that workspace I create a hardware platform, when prompted search for the XSA file you exported from Vivado previously. Next you should Build the hardware platform and once that's done you can create an Application Project based on that hw platform.